Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - rear brakes on 2.8 quattro

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 95 2.8 quattro coupe, had it for the last four years. Ever since owning it there has been a whuring noise comming from the rear nearside. I have taken it to numerouse garages and they have all stated the rear nearside brake is binding, on each occassion they have freed it and within two weeks it has returned. I asked each one if it needed any new parts on the brake system but they all stated no. Its begining to get on my nerves now, does anyone know what is wrong please?
My rear winscreen wiper has also packed up, when pulling the stick nothing at all happens, no motor noise or water comming out of the washer, any ideas?

Locomotion
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like the rear caliper is semi seized, strip down and new seals should remedy this. Any pitting on the piston then its a new one. I would replace the caliper. As for the wiper problem its probably the stalk as these seem to be a weak spot. Evil or Very Mad

cq20v
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The rear calipers can be a pain. If they are the same as the ones on the Coupe quattro 20V then you can get an exchange caliper from Lucas Uk for about £85. Unless you do it yourself, probably cheaper than a strip and rebuild by a garage.

1993 S2 Coupe - Sold (gutted)
1989 CQ20V - Sold
1986 Coupe GT - Deceased
1985 Coupe GT - Deceased 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

If the rear brake is binding on then either the spring on the caliper is sized and is not strong enough to return the caliper to the rest position or the cable is getting stuck. You can inspect the cable for damage at the caliper end - it should slide easily. Caliper is best exchanged - have the chassis number handy as there was a change during 93/94.

For the wiper problem, check out the switch or the relay. Relay is under the rear seat. I'm currently awaiting a new switch from Martyn at Vag parts

rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advise troops. Ill see about getting it done this weekend

View next topic
View previous topic