Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - possible new A6 2.5 tdi quattro avant owner

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi There,

I thought I'd say hello as I have been having a look around trying to glean as much info as possible as looking to buy an A6 tdi avant.

The one I may take a look at is on autotrader having done 223k miles. (new timing belt, water pump) The trader asking 1400 for it but planning on beating him down with a big stick if i can Smile

Having always liked these cars, I have never driven or been in one before but love the look and after some decent mpg as I am currently running a lower mid 20s mpg japanese twin turbo estate (petrol).

I will take a look around on here for any buying guides and things to look out for.

I will report back once I have seen it!

Cheers

DeK

artb
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

i bought mine 12 months ago,
love the drive, you wont regret getting one,
the engine is a bit clattery when cold, but once warmed up as good as any tdi out there...
they are surprisingly quick,economical and luxurious all for next to nothing,

i paid 1400 on egay but it had a new head and belts etc as the previous owner had either cooked it or let the belt snap.....

i have the auto [which i love] and it will get 55mpg on a steady run on the motorway or A roads....

i had a nissan stagea [look em up on ebay]...b4 so i know where your coming from with the fuel costs Shock Shock Cool Cool Cool

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

Cheers for your message.. and yes I know the nissan stagea.. I still have mitsubishi's equivalent, the Legnum VR4. Great car but fuel bills getting a bit much!

The avant I went to see was in fair condition considering the mileage, it had some minor nsr front and rear wing damage. The car had recent timing and water pump change. It had heated leather seats which needed a bit ofTLC as did the rest ofthe car but nothing too bad.

The trader was a bit strange tho which kinda put me off with NO room for negotiating etc. Was not too confident in buying it.. so I will continue my search.

Being new to the site I will search to see what the differing opinions between the FWD and quattro versions are. My pal at audi advocates the quattro version, due to the set up of gear and txfer box. One thing that also surprised me was the high insurance group ratings...

Your car returns heart warming figures for an auto.... I was not initially considering an auto but I will broaden my searches. The 6 speed in the car I drove today was a gem, I must say..

There is a nice one on ebay at the mo but its a bit far from me in Durham..

BladeRunner
Sadly no longer with us- RIP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 2wd 6 speed TDi is potentially the most economical, I can get in excess of 60 mpg using cruise in 6th on m-way staying below 65 mph. The Quattro version is great if you need the 4wd but it's iro 8mpg worse overall and makes a pretty basic car in suspension quite a bit more complex & expensive to maintain..

As said go for Quattro only if you really need it, but make sure there is no play in the rear suspension, prop, or diff noises..

2.5 TDI is virtually indestructible as long at cambelt job has been done PROPERLY and according to service requirements, more here (follow links in topic for more insight..)

http://www.audifans.net/ftopict-30407.html

and have a search there are loads to helpful topics a search for AEL will get you many

These are great cars but it's becoming harder to find good examples that haven't been neglected..

*EDIT*

High insurance ratings are a hang over from when it was new, having the engine in front of the headlamps, (as Jeremy Clarkson so amusingly puts it), made even a minor front end shunt potentially a very costly repair

I Have Genuine Vag Com Hex Can 2+2, Vag Tacho & Snap-on Modis latest software  
d-9
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a ael quattro avant 6spd, totally love it. I get 40-45mpg on usual driving, mid 30s if im driving hard. Know Id get more mpgs from a 2wd one, but I love the handling of the quattro, plus its extremly useful in mud/snow. Recently took it across cornwall, surfboard on the passenger seat and a complete laugh to drive, had some comedy moments like overtaking a pack of bikers. Not a cheap car to run thou, the suspension and bushes and stuff all add up if you need to replace them.

'96 A6 TDI Quattro  
pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, I will look up those references to get some more info. So whats the average people pay for insurance for these beasts? Are there any favoured insurance companies for them?

I have been thinking hard about 2 and 4WD but in the past couple of years the 4WD has been a lifesaver in the bad weather with my current car. I was able to get around OK whilst there were many abandoned cars and stranded motorists on the road. I can understand maintenance is that much higher on the quattro tho.

Are parts hard to come by? Do German and Swedish or Euro car parts sell decent stuff for these cars?

In fact, I better have a look over the URL reference in case most of my questions have been already answered.

Thanks again..

Dek

monkeyboyuk
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

got a good deal on my allroad 2.5 tdi with Sky Insurance.

BladeRunner
Sadly no longer with us- RIP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Parts are still easy to get, Audi TPS good prices on service parts, but some of the Quattro parts are nla afaik, like rear subframe bushes..

When I partially rebuilt my 2wd a year ago I ordered some pretty obscure parts from TPS and nothing was nla then and even some of the obscure backordered parts took no longer than a few weeks..

engine wise it's virtually the same as the VW transporter lump and a common rail version is now fitted to the crafter vans replacing the newer but problematic 2.5 R5 TDI (which was basically half the Toureg V10 lump).

Euro car parts were good for headgasket parts and Andrew Page valves camshaft kits etc..

Another thing to watch for on the quattros is the tank leaking, unlike the FWD version that has a plastic tank the Quattro is steel and can corrode badly, a few have sprouted leaks as have some S6 models, rear subframe, suspension & diff off to replace

I Have Genuine Vag Com Hex Can 2+2, Vag Tacho & Snap-on Modis latest software  
d-9
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My quattro was brilliant in the snow, apart from almost spinning it because I forgot i was driving on snow, but Im putting that down to operator error!

Its not a cheap car to run, quattro bits are generally expensive. They dont take the same dampers as fwd, which means going to audi for the rear dampers, its also had most of the rear bushes along the way in an attempt to cure a suspension knock which turned out to be the struts having punched their way through the top spring pan and hitting the bodywork.

On the bright side, all parts were availible and everytime i drive it, I remember why i like it. Just done 300miles in it tonight and it was perfectly comfortable and pleasant to sit on the phone and chat to mates, not bad for a 290k mile car. Dont believe the mpg display, mine is currently overreading by about 6mpg! Also, bear in mind that toe and camber are adjustable front and rear, so to get it to handle and not eat tyres you will have to get a 4 wheel align done.

When this one finally breaks, I'll probably buy another one.

'96 A6 TDI Quattro  
pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the brilliant info and experiences ...
There are quite rare now... hardly ever see them about.

I am with Sky nsurance for my current wagon and so will see what deals they are willing to offer me..

I just need to keep looking now until the right one springs up..

Cheers again

Dek

EDIT:

Ah, here's one Wink

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-AUDI-A6-TDI-QUATTRO-BLUE-/180518804459

Duffelcoat
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That one in the ebay add looks familiar to me, I think I saw it when I was looking for mine nearly a year ago...

The quattro is good imho and I love the wet weather aspect to owning a quattro, but as above be warned, some parts especially on the rear suspension are mega money because you can only get the parts from Audi.

Mine needed two rear suspension bushes and blocks, small bit of metal between subframe and suspension, £150+ VAT each, without fitting of course which is quite a lengthy job, so you are looking at about £600 from an indy to replace a couple of bushes!!!!!

I paid a lot for mine a year ago and have spend lots on it in one year but it has been a good car and I think I will keep it for a long time.

They are great if you have kids, mine use it like a playground and I don't have to worry too much with them monkeying around in the back!

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whoah back after 3 years Smile Sadly I never managed to pick up one of these tdi beauties but have a distant relative volvo v70 with the same 2,5 tdi block in.... what an engine..I absolutely love it Smile

Still hankering after an A6 secretly for that 6th gear cruise and so does anyone know of a TDi estate for sale? Prefer 6 speed (still undecided about the 2 or 4wd yet)

Cheers

Dek

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well missed ou on that car but can finally say.. I got one Smile I opted for a 6 speed 2wd and absolutely love it. Just need to firm up the ride a bit and get it a little lower preferrably on eibachs on similar..

IMAG0393.resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.72 KB
 Viewed:  1472 Time(s)

IMAG0393.resized.jpg

IMAG0391.resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.81 KB
 Viewed:  1574 Time(s)

IMAG0391.resized.jpg

d-9
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

holy thread revival batman Laughing

I miss my C4. The C5 is very good, but doesnt quite have the 'hewn from awesome' feel of C4.

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hahah Yeh, I was going to start a new thread but this shows how long ago I have been interested in these..

Had a good cruise back down after picking up. Some impressive figures according to the computer Smile My cousin picked up his 5 speed TDi last year and has been raving on about these since. Am soo imoressed with interior space Smile

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks nice and shiny. How many miles? They aren't run in until 250k......

Nick

Triumph Vitesse  
pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks It has full service history stamped and serviced every year from what I see..
with the receipts too. its on 165k on the clock and no matter how much I hoon around in it still seeing 54mpg on the OBD (if its telling the truth)..

I had some a4 16s in shed but still the car needs to go down about 30mm I think.. Embarassed

I also need to address the rust bubble and flaking on the front arches.. Rolling Eyes

IMAG0419.resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.16 KB
 Viewed:  1430 Time(s)

IMAG0419.resized.jpg

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looks very nice , Wink

A6 avant 2.8q 1999 Santorin Blue
Coupe GT5E 1985 Saphire Blue
Coupe GT5E 1984 red(being refurbed by tiprat)  
pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks very much;

Have any of you lowered your cars at all? Are eibachs the well known and trusted favourite around here?

Thanks

D

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've used eibach before without problems & I'm sure a few others have too

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good stuff. My cousin is getting the b12 bilsetin kit for his and so with any luck I will nab the eibachs Smile After I will take alook at some wheels maybe .. the Ronal wheels I have my eyes on are 50 offset on an 8 or 8.5 so I have a feeling that could foul in the suspension...

I iwll need to do some research

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Audi+A6+c4+avant+alloys&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.73231344,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en.WZ9vGve3_Fg.O&biw=1366&bih=622&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=2F3zU-WNBfKy7Ab-ooGgDA#hl=en&q=Audi+100+c4++avant++alloys&tbm=isch&um=1

S4/S6 wheels look good , when correctly lowered or deepdish style wheels ? Wink

any pics of the ones your thinking of?

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi There,

I dolike the look of some of the AMG merc wheels so long as I can replace the emblem with audi rings Smile but I do like deep dishor concave wheels, howver anything above 18 can look too big for these cars depending on the spoke design,

I do like 6 and 7 spoke wheels and was looking at something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121412047110 (I dont plan on spending that much right now though Smile Those are 50 and 54 offset rears which would probably need spacers

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201153060238

Those are 8.5J 35 offset so probably very close to fouling arch I think

Some of the AMG monoblock wheels are quite nice too

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

These are a 38 offset on an 8 x 17 so thats about as wide as I should really go.. Rolling Eyes [/img]

212dea7f-fc0c-4452-98ee-b8ca14c106ae.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.42 KB
 Viewed:  1191 Time(s)

212dea7f-fc0c-4452-98ee-b8ca14c106ae.jpg

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeh mono blocks are nice , & the size in the pics looks right Wink
A8 alloys look good too -
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60151&page=3

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Or bolero's
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65690

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/10/18/bat-exclusive-2bennett-tuned-1995-audi-s6-avant/

pezza
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yup boleros and Avus are nice too.. Lots of choice.. I have some nice volvo 240 rims on 7 x 17s on a 20 offset shame they dont fit being 5x108 LOL

3474.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.66 KB
 Viewed:  1295 Time(s)

3474.jpg

slacky
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm nice Volvo too , anymore pics

spink
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can well recommend 'kilen' lowering springs,Swedish made and about £110 when I bought them a couple of years ago

View next topic
View previous topic