Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Front suspension

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know how you get used to your car and can pinpoint a knock or rumble sound? The roads have been a nightmare since winter with numerous potholes and surface damage. The other day I went over a series of small holes and I can hear and feel something from the front suspension. It's not a knocking sound as such, but feels like a looseness in the front suspension. Car now on 120k. I suspect it's the ARB drop links. What's the best way to test to identify?

It could also be the upper control arms, but I honestly can't face stripping out the strut quite yet.

Murray'sVW/Audi parts can source genuine OEM Lemforder droplinks for £15 each + VAT + postage.

Car is B5 A4 2.5TDI (150PS) quattro sport avant Very Happy

2010 Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI (105) Elegance, 31k
2001 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, 162k
2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k
1995 Audi 80 TDI SE Avant, 175k, sold Sad 
GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jack up the front and give the wheel a good shake in all directions. You should be able to feel any play in the suspension this way, althought it may be difficult to identify the exact joint that is causing it..
I had same problem last year and one thing lead to another so I replaced all front arms and shocks all around - Not cheap but the new shocks make a real difference in the ride.
Good luck

spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for that. I'm tempted to replace the shocks and upper control arms, but I can't justify the cost right now. It's damage limitation right now on the cash-front. I'll take a closer look at the weekend and make a call on it. The pinch-bolt will be invariably seized if I have to replace the upper control arms.

2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k
GJR
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you are confident enough to do this sort of job yourselves (which I was not) which then saves 100's on labour for a job like this.
I remember paying about 280 for a set of (decent quality) arms + 180 for the shocks all around (ex VAT), the rest of the near grand bill was labour.

Good luck

spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

GJR wrote:
Sounds like you are confident enough to do this sort of job yourselves (which I was not) which then saves 100's on labour for a job like this.
I remember paying about 280 for a set of (decent quality) arms + 180 for the shocks all around (ex VAT), the rest of the near grand bill was labour.

Good luck

Yes £280 sounds about right for decent quality arms and suspension links. The stuff on Ebay for just over £100 won't last 5 minutes, and it's a bu**er of a job to install too. The only trouble with suspension is siezed bolts. I don't have access to acetylene torches, etc, which is exactly what the garages use when stuff refuses to budge. I'll fit the ARB links, it's only £40, and see if that makes any difference.

2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k
Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

spartacus wrote:
The stuff on Ebay for just over £100 won't last 5 minutes, and it's a bu**er of a job to install too.

Is that experince talking mate? I ask because I need to do the exact same for my B6 because my track rod ends and upper rear arms are shot. my options are cheap ebay full kit for £140, just the 4 parts from audi at £140, the full kit from audi at about £1000 or the 034 motorsport kit for $500 (including nuts, bolts etc and drop links).
Here's the B5 version for $375 plus $30 for nuts n bolts and $75 for track rod ends if needed http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-control-arm-kit-complete-034-density-for-b5-c5-p-149.html?osCsid=8696bd026855b6353fc8ab90f683e4e7

I haven't worked out yet if I can find someone stateside to take receipt of them and forward them on as a "gift" though to try to avoid import taxes.

spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nj wrote:
spartacus wrote:
The stuff on Ebay for just over £100 won't last 5 minutes, and it's a bu**er of a job to install too.

Is that experince talking mate? I ask because I need to do the exact same for my B6 because my track rod ends and upper rear arms are shot.

Bit of both. I haven't bought the full kit from Ebay, but have picked up bits and pieces over the years including bushes, links and tie-rods and have always been disappointed in the quality, knowing I'm going to have to do exactly the same job in next to no time due to premature wear and tear. You get what you pay for in my book.

I seriously doubt you need to completely overhaul the entire suspension, if you're assuming every component is goosed? I ordered genuine OEM Lemforder (ARB links) and a reverse light switch for my wife's A2 from Murray's VW/Audi which arrived today for £50. I'll fit the ARB links this weekend and see if that tightens up the front. I'm pretty sure the upper control arms are on there way out too... but will cross that bridge when I have to.

Link here to Murray's: http://www.murraysdirect.co.uk/4528.html

My advice for what it's worth is just to replace the upper rear control arms and tie-rod ends with genuine parts, and see if the handling improves, which undoubtedly it will. Very Happy

2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k
Nj
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

thanks mate.
the added hassle for me since I'm in finland now is that the prices here are silly and if I order parts bit at a time I pay a lot of delivery so....
I'm going for a full Meyle high density set so I can do the whole lot at once and enjoy a nice tight front end (so to speak).

I checked with All German Parts, who gave a price of £426 plus deliverym, which is good, but I then found a german ebay seller who will do the full kit for €400 plus delivery, which works out at £380ish all in.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390314510254&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

and there's a 4 year warranty on the parts, as long as they're fitted properly (everything to be tightened with suspension compressed).
Actually that's something i'm not sure about. Fitting myself or letting someone else with a proper lift do it.

spartacus
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I take your point. Decent suspension will put the fun back into driving. I know you have hard winters over in Finland... but back in Blighty... the bu**ers have still to fill the holes in our roads from 2 years ago! Evil or Very Mad

2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE, 131k

View next topic
View previous topic