Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - water leaks into car

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, somewhere my 1994 Audi 80 avant is letting water in but only on the passenger side, both front and rear carpets are very wet, I have had wife in car looking for leaks as I run the hose over the roof and doors but nothing showed up, the drain hole for the sunroof is clear. I suppose it could be getting in the front and running back but any clues as to where I should look next?

RAMC181
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Check the heater outlets either side of the centre console, that's where my old 80 was leaking from the heater matrix.

All the best,
PB

2001 Audi A6 1.8T SE
1999 Audi A6 1.8T Sport (Wrecked by another driver)
1989 Audi 90 2.0 10V PS (Gone to the breakers yard)
1987 Audi 80E 1.8 (Gone to the breakers yard) 
jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks PB, but I should have mentioned that I am not losing any antifreeze/water from cooling system, cheers for your quick reply, Jim.

jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it might be somehow getting in at the bottom corner front of the passenger door, not sure how as seals all look ok, so no-one else has had this problem then?

audiall
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi try looking at the rubber grommet where the bonnet release cable goes through the bulkhead,as the water running off the windscreen is chanelled by there and down the wing,thats on drivers side so also check the path of water going down the other side and any obstacles that may divert the water allan...

merton
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i have read on here before about water coming in through the cabin air filter and through the heater box and onto the passenger floor. maybe its worth a look. you need to take the plastic bit off from the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side, you dont need to remove it completely, i found with mine that by turning the four clips to release it, i was able to lift it enough to do what i needed when i replaced my cabin filter.

jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks both, will have a look at those things, have just put a new pollen filter in and all looked ok in that area, will post back if I get it sorted, thanks again, Jim

yodaboyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

when was the winsdcreen seal last replaced....you would be suprised how far and from where water leaks/travels in the 80s..

jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi yodaboyo, never has it been replaced, I bought it from my brothger in law about 6 years ago,he had it from new, is it not a bonded in screen on this car? Thanks, Jim.

yodaboyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yes, but sometimes they leak....this is my most recent project and on inspection it was leaking through the windscreen - not seen that before on an 80.

also, there are drainage holes in the inner wings, one very close to the air filter housing, its easy for water to find its way through here if theres a build up of muck....

another suggestion is check your sunroof drainage points to make sure they are not blocked (if you have one) they also get conjested and sometimes leak into the footwells

good luck!

jimdollar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi again, yes the sunroof drain holes are ok, I took a syringe and put water into the nearside sunroof drain hole and it came out ok under the car, today I took out completely the pollen filter housing to check for leaves at the back and there was a little but not much, drain holes in this area are ok too, thanks again, Jim.

maarin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have water leaking into the car again. However, this time I don't see water physically coming into the car and it's not the same area. Now water is somehow leaking into the front pass. side foot area where the floor mat is and on the side of the transmission tunnel I have no idea idea if this is a leak or vast moisture is building up.

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

maarin, have you checked you coolant level? where you say theres water is normally where the heater matrix leaks.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had similar- heater matrix first time around; it did it again later- turns out the plastic scuttle panel wasn't fitted right- water was leaking through the fan for the ventilation system and through... (noticeable when parked front end down hill).... been ok since- or was (on an old car)

Coupeman
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

try the door seal near the front of the door.

Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Same problem in passenger footwell....still don't know but will check these suggestions.

Bungle74
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doh!!!! I've just got in my car for the first time in a week and found the drivers side floor full of water. Looks like it's coming in from behind the footwell trim under where the bonnet release handle is.

It's dark outside but it looks like it could be the rubber grommet that the bonnet release cable runs through. There was also some crap around the drain hole (at least I think that's what it is) going to the wing near the grommet.

Would anybody agree/disagree that this may well be the likely cause? It did rain quite a lot at the weekend.....

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The bonnet cable grommet is a common cause of water leaks

Daz
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed.

I've directed the water that comes off the screen away from that area ....

Bungle74
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, assuming the grommet is back in place, what's the best way to get the thing dry inside? It's my daily driver so I can't take the drivers seat & carpet out. I'm currently using towels but obviously there is underlay/sound deadening under the carpet so it could take weeks to dry out......especially in current weather conditions.

jamiecoysh
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

keep the heater set to the floor position and leave it on while driving that should speed it up

Bungle74
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been doing that and also had towels in the car all day and it seems to have helped already. Looking at the grommet in the daylight I can see it is split so I'll get some clear mastic or something to seal it up temporarily.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement from an/or a part number for the grommet? I'd like to get it done properly rather than leave it as a bodge it & scarper job!!!

Looks like a fiddly job too, is it a PITA to undo the cable & thread the grommet over the length of it?

Cheers

Lee

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

grommet is 893 823 591 A

to dry the car out, you're really looking at a dehumidifier and hope for a dry day to allow you to run it for a full 24 hrs at a weekend.

To do it properly, removing the carpet and underlay is the only option - they can be dried over a radiator

been there when my heater matrix deposited its entire contents in the passenger footwell.

Removed the carpet and seats on a Friday afternoon. Ran the dehumidifier all day on the Saturday. refitted everything again on the Sunday

kermit123
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jimdollar wrote:
Hi all, somewhere my 1994 Audi 80 avant is letting water in but only on the passenger side, both front and rear carpets are very wet, I have had wife in car looking for leaks as I run the hose over the roof and doors but nothing showed up, the drain hole for the sunroof is clear. I suppose it could be getting in the front and running back but any clues as to where I should look next?
mine was the same Sad it was comeing from left hand side windowscreen on outside car the front shuttle that runs along the front with the wipers on had lifted and was running into air vent underneth it then running into the vent into back foot well then running into front passenger footwell i took it off and sealed it with silicon nothink since had heater on for a few weeks soon dried it out

Mattu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

kermit123 wrote:
jimdollar wrote:
mine was the same Sad it was comeing from left hand side windowscreen on outside car the front shuttle that runs along the front with the wipers on had lifted and was running into air vent underneth it then running into the vent into back foot well then running into front passenger footwell i took it off and sealed it with silicon nothink since had heater on for a few weeks soon dried it out

A Lot more water sits under the heating ducting under the carpet and sound proofing than you think. I took all my carpets out and found about an inch of water in the floor pan. I have been running the car about without carpets. I found on the drivers side that the water is running down the door rubber on the A post the were it bends to follow the seal it runs in there. But most of the water is coming in at the same point but on the B post. You can see it running down the B post rubber and poors in at the bottom. Its also coming in on the passanger side at the bottom of the A Post aswell but not as bad. I'm thinking of fitting a bilge pump.

You can never have two many cars 
argus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have the same problem, but only in the rear nearside footwell.

I've checked all the seals and they appear sound.

Any suggestions?

Mattu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

argus wrote:
I have the same problem, but only in the rear nearside footwell.

I've checked all the seals and they appear sound.

Any suggestions?

Try removing the plastic kick trim off the seal. Then you can see the base of the B post where the water will be coming in. Or it could be coming in round the rear lights.

You can never have two many cars 
wilsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Argus, I had the same symptoms, Near side rear footwell was very wet, but looks like the water was coming from the bonnet pull cable grommet which had been pulled through leaving a hole. there was water under the drivers footwell but not as noticable at first. fixed the grommet back in place and no problems since.

Bungle74
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wilsy, I used waterproof kitchen sealant on the grommet in my coupe when it split & fingers crossed no leaks for months, even in the heavy rain we had for days on end a month or so ago. It's also flexible so won't split when you open the bonnet.
Of course, replacing the grommet would be better, but in this weather.....brrrrrrrr!!

wilsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bungle74 wrote:
Wilsy, I used waterproof kitchen sealant on the grommet in my coupe when it split & fingers crossed no leaks for months, even in the heavy rain we had for days on end a month or so ago. It's also flexible so won't split when you open the bonnet.
Of course, replacing the grommet would be better, but in this weather.....brrrrrrrr!!

Nice one Bungle, I'll try that stuff, the rubber seems OK, just needs to be stuck back in position, the pull lever had become disconnected from its mount and that caused it to pull the grommit through i think. Glad to have found the cause as it was a nightmare there for a week driving around in a steamroom!

View next topic
View previous topic