Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - B6 - wiper conversion to Aero Flats

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Mike_B
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've just done this job - and what a difference the new Aero blades make in comparison to the oe "framed" ones!

Despite fitting new blades, they've always juddered and squeaked, and frankly didnt do all that great a job. They're also expensive, with that strange non-standard fitting.

As they were knackered after 6 months, and the arms were corroding as well, I bit the bullet and bought a "Front Aero Wiper Arm and Blade" kit from VW Teeside via eBay. The order was placed "after hours" on Thursday and arrived in todays post (Saturday) - which was nice.

I did the conversion this afternoon - easy job. Dont faff around trying to wriggled or lever the arms off the spindles, use a puller. I happened to have a largish ball-joint splitter from my LandRovering days and as long as the nut is left (loose) on the spindle it'll engage on it and pop the arms off. Works a treat on the rear too btw.

Hardest part of the job? Recovering the replacement spindle covers from the depths of the scuttle! Dont ask how I managed to drop them both, but I did. Tip: Put something over the blasted thing!

The new blades are astonishing. No judder, no squeak, and significantly better wiping. And, given they're cheaper and easier to replace anyway, I reckon the £107 the kit costs is worth it especially if you consider that replacement oe blades are close to £30 (inc postage) - more from Audi.

If you need a "how to" - this chaps done a great one - http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/142777-B6-A4-Swap-out-stock-wipers-for-the-later-model-Aero-wipers

If, for some unknown reason, anyone wants the old arms, let me know. Postage and a small charity donation will get them to you.

Mike.

QuattroJames
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one Mike, I did mine a couple of years ago and it's well worth it.

Ingolstance 
Mike_B
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In terms of the cost / effort / hassle / results comparison, I'd say it was possible the single best job I've ever done on any of the vehicles I've owned.

I'd thoroughly recommend the conversion to anyone with a B6. Mike.

masterlink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone done this conversion on a B5 A4 Avant yet?

daz-the-dogg
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I did notice in a shop called the Range that theyre now selling aero blades to fit the older style wiper arm vehicles

View next topic
View previous topic