Adrian Flux Insurance
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Boot Lid Light Cluster Removal/Refitting

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
daver
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

heres a run through of how i resealed my Boot lid light cluster

the tools i used are
8mmA/F socket
Phillips screwdriver
heat source - i used a hair dryer as opposed to a paint stripping heat gun as it does not get so hot and you don't really need it to get too hot and you wont damage your paintwork
new sealing strip - i used 3M08612 direct glaze adhesive strip as suggested in Daz's post on the coupé forum thanks to for that

Ø10mm x 4.5m. available from Brown Brothers @ £19.85+Very Annoying Tax

1 - remove boot lid lining trim ( you have probably done this already if you've got water in your boot lid - i know i did) this will allow access to the back of the light cluster as you would need if you were changing a bulb
take the warning triangle off and undo 6 Phillips head screws

2- remove the 3 bulb holders and the bulbs too if you think you may break them in the process

3- undo the 7 nuts that hold the light cluster in place (3 on the drivers side and 4 on the nearside)

4- undo the 2 nuts that hold the lock barrel in place, the barrel can be pulled clear fo the light cluster now NOTE there is a plastic washer under each of the cast lugs of the lock barrel make sure you don't lose these.

5 - now to remove the light cluster
get a hair dryer and warm around the aperture in the boot lid if you start applying heat from the outer edge of the boot towards the centre the "mastic" seal will gradually peel away when you push up on the end of the light cluster as you apply the heat - obviously do this on both sides!!!!

6- with the cluster removed you will be left with alot of dirt and mastic residue,

this needs to be COMPLETELY removed to affect a watertight seal on reassembly - i used petrol to remove the mastic residue and cleaned the rest off as usual car washing - i then polished the entire cluster recess to ensure it was properly clean for a good seal on reassembly

here you can see that the light cluster has been off before i got to it in the past and some complete effing Luddite has tried to remove the mastic residue with something like a brillo pad. knob

7 - remove mastic residue from the light cluster - the majority off the mastic will come off easily by hand (well it did for me) but to remove the remaining bits i used tar remover as i did not like the idea of rubbing petrol all over the plastic

8 - with the residue removed and cleaned - place the new seal in place, a little fiddly but you get the "feel" quickly

i also put a length on the centre of the cluster - i recommend if you do this with the 3M08612 press it down to about half its height with the backing paper in place or it will affect how the light cluster lines up with the bodywork on refitting (just take my word for it!!!)

9 - refit the light cluster - support each end and ensure all the stud line up with their respective hole and gently lower in place. you will soon feel that the seal has made contact as it is very tacky.
now refit the lock barrel remembering the 2 plastic washers fit between the barrel casting and the boot lid and lightly tighten the nuts to hold the lock in place.
loosely refit the 7 nuts that secure the light cluster to the boot lid
shut the boot to see if the light cluster lines up with the indicator clusters on both sides

here you can see misalignment - but, due to the un-cured property of the seal you can move the cluster about to ensure the clusters line up - once they do open the boot and tighten the nuts

aligned light clusters.

10 - refit the boot liner and the warning triangle

bish bash bosh - Job done - treat yourself to a cheeky beer you deserve it thumbup

2013 Giant Defy 1
2006 Specialized FSR XC
1999 Audi Cabriolet 2.6 Final Edition (SOLD Sad)
1997 VW Golf CL TDi (SOLD)
1994 Audi Coupe 2.0 16v (SOLD) 
monkeyboyuk
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nice write up daver

AOC - Scottish Regional Host
Membership # 1445

See my cars at myaudis.co.uk 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

made into a sticky Wink

Thanks for this Cool Very Happy

andrewaudi
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Such a nice colour on the cab Smile

ralphy12345
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Brilliant!

I need to do this (surprising just how much water the boot-lid holds Rolling Eyes) and was wondering just how to re-seal the light cluster, so thanks for this.

R

Shabbycabby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi ,

I have a leak in boot and suspect the high level brake light needs resealing.

Problem is I cannot seem to pop it out even after taking 3 nuts off.

Any suggestions?

View next topic
View previous topic