Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Thinking of buying a new A6 - questions to current owners

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Janner1950

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,
Glad to find this forum and put some questions to you existing Audi owners before I make my final decision whether to buy a brand new Audi A6.

I currently drive a 3.0 V6 petrol Jaguar S-type which I have owned for the past nine years but with fuel costs what they are I am looking to buy something more economical and I have narrowed it down to either a Jag XF 2.2 163 diesel or an Audi A6 saloon 2.0 TDi 177 SE manual. Yes the Jag is auto but official figures say the Jag will return a combined mpg of 54.3 – 55.4 but according to the What Car true mpg statistics a combined 42.1 mpg is the reality. The Audi A6 official combined mpg is 57.6 and the What Car true mpg for the A6 is a combined of 55.1 mpg which is much better.

I would be very interested to know what mpg figures current owners of the new Audi A6 saloon 2.0 TDi are achieving.

I have also read that front tyre wear is quite high on the A6, typically 10-12K miles before replacements are needed. Any feedback on this would also be helpful.

I have test driven the A6 and found it very good with no torque steering feel that I have noticed in other front wheel drive cars. Engine is responsive, gearbox and clutch good, brakes excellent and steering quite positive. Perhaps a little more road noise than I am used to but not too intrusive. I did notice that the pedals are slightly offset and wondered if this became an issue on a long journey.

To conclude, I keep my cars a long time (up to ten years) so looking for long term reliability. I would be interested in any feedback about the new A6, good or bad and what your overall view is of the car and the Audi brand. If anyone is willing to say what the best deal was that they got on a new A6 from an Audi dealer I would appreciate it as it would provide me with a figure to aim for.

Many thanks,
Janner1950

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Janner1950 wrote:
Hi All,
Glad to find this forum and put some questions to you existing Audi owners before I make my final decision whether to buy a brand new Audi A6.

I currently drive a 3.0 V6 petrol Jaguar S-type which I have owned for the past nine years but with fuel costs what they are I am looking to buy something more economical and I have narrowed it down to either a Jag XF 2.2 163 diesel or an Audi A6 saloon 2.0 TDi 177 SE manual. Yes the Jag is auto but official figures say the Jag will return a combined mpg of 54.3 – 55.4 but according to the What Car true mpg statistics a combined 42.1 mpg is the reality. The Audi A6 official combined mpg is 57.6 and the What Car true mpg for the A6 is a combined of 55.1 mpg which is much better.

I would be very interested to know what mpg figures current owners of the new Audi A6 saloon 2.0 TDi are achieving.

I have also read that front tyre wear is quite high on the A6, typically 10-12K miles before replacements are needed. Any feedback on this would also be helpful.

I have test driven the A6 and found it very good with no torque steering feel that I have noticed in other front wheel drive cars. Engine is responsive, gearbox and clutch good, brakes excellent and steering quite positive. Perhaps a little more road noise than I am used to but not too intrusive. I did notice that the pedals are slightly offset and wondered if this became an issue on a long journey.

To conclude, I keep my cars a long time (up to ten years) so looking for long term reliability. I would be interested in any feedback about the new A6, good or bad and what your overall view is of the car and the Audi brand. If anyone is willing to say what the best deal was that they got on a new A6 from an Audi dealer I would appreciate it as it would provide me with a figure to aim for.

Many thanks,
Janner1950

Hi Janner, I drive the 2.4 v6 manual and its a good car, yes I had problems initially but now they've ironed them out its a lovely car to drive.

I've owned Jags, BM's and big Volvo's and the A6 is by far the best on a run. I drive to Manchester on Mondays back on a Friday 220 miles each way and the journey is a doddle. Its very comfortable and don't feel like I've done 220 miles I get 35 mpg at a steady 70-75 so not complaining to much its quiet and there's plenty of power from 177 bhp.

Not noticed any undue tyre wear, the Bose sound system is excellent and the ride good, yes the pedals are slightly offset but not uncomfortable but having size 12 feet I find room tight between the clutch and the foot rest with certain shoes, but I now wear driving shoes to and from work........!

the interior in light grey leather is standing up well and everything is clear and logical and feels better made than the Jag and certainly more comfortable than BM's and no torque steer like the big Volvo's a good buy all round

Hope this helps?

Rgds

Janner1950

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

ukwide,
Thanks for your reply and yes it was helpful.
Regards,
Janner

4WDriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mr 1950
I have the A6 Avant 177 S-Line new in July 13. It is rather good but not perfect.
I did try the XF but reliability issues during the test drive was enough to dissuade me! Also I couldn't quite regress to an Auto 'Box.
I chose the S-Line for the seats but I am pleased with the xenon lights and the arguably better suspension and 18" wheels. That bit is down to choice.
It is big but drives like my wife's A3. Before this I had an A5 3.0 TDI and I prefer this apart from the lack of 4WD.
The pedals are offset but not as much as the A4/A5 and even in that you don't notice after a week or so. The A6 has more room for my huge feet too.
It is a mile eater but try as I might, 55mpg is totally unachievable. I am jokingly known as the thriftmeister here, drive with feather feet and can't get over 50. My average for the first 4800 miles is 46.8. Colleagues with both saloons and estates struggle to get 40 mpg.
With the light right foot the tyres are still looking like brand new after 4800 miles so imagine 20k+ is realistic for me.
The boot is big but narrow. my bike will not go in with the front wheel on, golf clubs also will not fit across. However put the seat down and you can fit a single bed in with room to spare. Depends what you carry!
My major gripe is the SatNav, see my post below, It's just come back from Audi and is no better. They said it's working ok. Well I have yet to have a successful journey. I'd rather they hadn't fitted one and given me £150 for a TomTom! Seriously it is 3rd world compared to the A5's DVD system.

Overall a thorough recommend. I lease mine but drivethedeal.com was offering it at about £26k last June, a full £8000 off list. You had to do finance but could pay it off after 3 months with no penalty.

Hope this helps
Cool

Janner1950

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

4WDriver
Thanks also yo you for your feedback which is helpful and appreciated.
Regards,
Janner

aiongoldbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks also yo you for your feedback which is helpful and appreciated. Fut Coins

patrickbe51

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend it Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic