Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Dissappointing MPG

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
stuarta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if anyone can help, but I have some queries with my new Black Edition TDI 150 A4. So far I have about 2800 miles on the clock and during my daily commute, I get about 30mpg. I was reading topics last night about the engine not warming up and possibly even using higher revs to warm it quicker, but not sure if anything in this. I know that you don't always get what the figures say, but in my mind 30 is somewhat different from the advertised 52mpg urban. Looking around the 'net it appears to be a common issue with this engine.

At the moment it's not proving anymore economical than my old 1.6 petrol Leon.

I did try this morning to switch off the climate but it only rose by about 2-3. Anybody got any ideas or experience?
Thanks

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

stuarta wrote:
Not sure if anyone can help, but I have some queries with my new Black Edition TDI 150 A4. So far I have about 2800 miles on the clock and during my daily commute, I get about 30mpg. I was reading topics last night about the engine not warming up and possibly even using higher revs to warm it quicker, but not sure if anything in this. I know that you don't always get what the figures say, but in my mind 30 is somewhat different from the advertised 52mpg urban. Looking around the 'net it appears to be a common issue with this engine.

At the moment it's not proving anymore economical than my old 1.6 petrol Leon.

I did try this morning to switch off the climate but it only rose by about 2-3. Anybody got any ideas or experience?
Thanks

Stuart,

When you say you have 2800 on the clock, are you saying its a new car? If so, it needs a chance to bed in and loosen up before the consumption will rise.

It also depends on whose fuel you use, if it's Tesco's or Morrisons etc, you will lose up to 10% because it doesn't have the additives others use, all the diesels I've ever owned ran like sh1te unless I used Shell or Esso, indeed my current A6 a manual 2.4 v6 will only do 32-34 on cheap fuel but 36-39 on Shell or Esso.

The other issue for diesel drivers is 'winter additives'. In order to stop the fuel 'waxing' in the cold, fuel providers put an anti-waxing agent in their fuel which will rob you of a further 10-15% mpg.

Hope this helps?

Gary

stuarta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep it is a new car and normally using Sainsburys. I can see that these things are going to rob me but really the difference from 52-30? About 40% loss

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

stuarta wrote:
Yep it is a new car and normally using Sainsburys. I can see that these things are going to rob me but really the difference from 52-30? About 40% loss

Stuart,

You can account for 20-25% for using Supermarket fuel (many on here have commented on the appalling lack of mpg from cheap fuel) and Winter Additives, the rest 15-20% must be down to running in a new car, but if it persists (and of course, you've either moderated your driving style to economy mode or race mode) then I would take back to Audi and ask if there's a problem.

I know the last new diesel I bought back in 08 was only giving me around 30mpg initially but after a while (10k) it was up around 57-59mpg and that was a 2.2 Hdi with 180 bhp.......

stuarta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well hopefully it will pick up a bit more, IF we get warmer weather. At the end of that day I love the car, especially the B&O sound system and in the white it attracts the attention of chavs and boy racers which missus loves. And saving of £200/year in tax

ukwide
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

stuarta wrote:
Well hopefully it will pick up a bit more, IF we get warmer weather. At the end of that day I love the car, especially the B&O sound system and in the white it attracts the attention of chavs and boy racers which missus loves.

Give it time Stuart, it will improve, my A6 is in white and fitted with the Bose sound system which is awesome, now got it to 50k and still feels new and tight and although the v6 is a lazy old lump, it does pull well and goes like a train, but driven sensibly it will hit high 30's mpg and with the cost of unleaded against diesel is only costing me about a fiver a week more to run..........

Good luck and happy Audi motoring...

rippo4u
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy

A couple of years ago I put in Shell Diesel V-Power. It keeps the vital parts clean and improves combustion. I get about 4mpg better than ordinary Shell BUT I have never use supermarket cheap stuff.

It may cost more but in the long run it will look after your engine. Try it for six fill up and keep records.

Rolling Eyes

2005 Avant 2.0 (140) Tdi GONE 48.9 mpg
2000 Avant 1.9 (115) Tdi GONE 55.0 mpg
1996 Saloon  

View next topic
View previous topic