Insurance quotes through Adrian Flux
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Remote Central Locking Installation

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I got this cheap off a Audi Wrecker, he ordered it online so I have no idea how good/bad it is but I thought I'd give it a try.

Before I go attempting to install it; Does anyone have any experience installing a remote central kit? I've got some experience with electronics but nothing amazing. I'm also wondering about some of the diagrams which i'll upload below. (The bottom section is for air locks).

Also do you guys think that there is any point in connecting the "siren" (the horn) to the kit, seeing as the horn is turned off when the ignition is off. The same goes for the parking lamps, I don't see any point because it's just more hassle to wire in and why it would need the power window to be connected to it at all?

IanW_home
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I installed a central locking kit to my 1990 A90. I found the US 20v site helpful: http://www.20v.org/remote.htm
The door switch wiring may be different for you.
Without hooking up the sidelights to the alarm, it can be a bit difficult to work out if the car locked OK or not. Ditto having the horn 'beep' on lock/unlock.
The horn is powered from the central locking unit, so it doesn't matter that it goes off with the ignition. In fact, as drawn, the sidelights will come on every time the horn is pressed...
The connection for the windows is probably to trip the 'total closure' feature - lock the vehicle & the windows/sunroof close.

Ian.

Evilgoat76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Done a few of these including my 90q and S2.

Most of these are cheap and nasty, the units on the 90Q, S2 and my Vitara all suffered from issues after about a year. The 90Q developed a hair trigger and ended up being disconnected. The S2 keyfobs fell apart and a number of times another car in the same car car park would react to the fob or I'd come back to an unlocked unalarmed car. The Vitara started randomly immobilizing itself.

However, the 150 Scorpion alarm on my Mitsi which went in the same time as the 90Q's over 7 years agho and has never, ever had an issue.

A lot is about how you install it, think it out, plan the wiring, make harnesses and solder all the connections. Unless you want to torch your car dont use scotchlocks. Be sensible about cable routing and that will alleviate half the issues. The wiring isnt that hard and most of what you need is in the drivers footwell, the 90q's control box was on the drivers parcel shelf out of the way. S2 same place with the microwave sensor under the centre console.

Buy a decent alarm unit and you'll have no trouble. Cheap Steli-Men or similar and it'll drive you insane.

View next topic
View previous topic