Insurance quotes through Adrian Flux
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Suddenly hard starting from cold

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

After an period of being parked up for a a couple of days without running the car is now nearly impossible to start without a jump. The battery isn't in the first flushes of youth, however it has never failed to start the far before, now it will crank and crank without even catching until the battery is flat.
Get a jump on there and it'll continue to crank (more energetically) until eventually it catches, though roughly, and eventually splutter into life.

When warm there is no problem at all.

Any area in which to start looking? My vag-com lead has recently blown up, so when that's replaced or fixed I'll check the pump timing, but I figure if it had slipped then it would be easier to start..

SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Continuing the monologue, in the hope someone else might benefit:

Car smelt dieselly yesterday evening after being parked for the day, and only just starting. Investigated further under the bonnet that evening to find fuel sitting on the passenger side of the block casting. Further sniffing and poking revealed a split fuel return hose from no1 injector (the low pressure braided lines). These were replaced at the beginning of the year when I rebuilt the head, so I guess not all fuel hoses are created equal, if only I could remember where I got it from...

So split end was lopped of, re attached the remains and cable-tied on for good measure. This morning: started without drama - woo!

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep.... that would do it. Leaky fuel filter housing or slightly loose water drain will do it also.

If accompanying a sudden drop in temperature then dead glow plugs could be a suspect too.

Mine got glow plug time yesterday for the first time in a long while - and started very promptly - which made a nice change! It's the almost cold starts it doesn't like - but that is normal!

Nick

Triumph Vitesse 

View next topic
View previous topic