Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Mad Science: FWD to AWD

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
InternetKungFu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a bone stock '87 4000CS and it runs like a champ with 157k on the clock. The body has old collision damage and rust. When I picked it up last year, the brakes were locked up with scale, and it needs balljoints and tie rod ends. I drove it 80 mi and parked it on the back burner, where it remains. Crawling around CL today, I find a very solid, daily driven '86 GT Coupe FD with a bad clutch. It is priced to sell.

How far off the deep end am I in considering a Quattro system swap? From what I have gleaned, Audis are very swap-friendly as far as engines go, what about drive trains? Somebody has to have done this before, or at least is familiar enough with these machines to give me an idea of what would be involved.

Would the FD chassis accommodate the rear drive equipment and suspension without major resculpting? I don't mind some fabrication, and I'll probably have to source a driveshaft... What else should I be taking into account? Your collective wisdom, please.

If I go ahead with this, I will document and share every step in detail...

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you'll need to replace the boot floor and fit mount points for the subframe and propshaft as a minimum.

There will be other stuff as well like different routing for exhaust, brakes, fuel

View next topic
View previous topic