Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Audi Coupe Quattro 20V suspension

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Over the last few months I have been faffing on with the Audi, getting it back to "original"

the front Struts have been replaced with a refurbished set I bought a while back, stripped down, powder coated, new Sachs Gasmatic shocks, bellows, bump stops and new bearings

The car now sits much higher at the front and the gap from tyre to wheel arch is a "fist" whereas the backs are three fingers. To put that into inches. Front gap is 4 inches and back gap is 2.5 inches.

It doesn't look right at all. I have checked the springs that came off [still attached to the strut] and compared with what is on the car now. coil diameter is the same, same number of coils [ just over 6] and a slightly larger coil circumference on the replaced springs, by .25 inch................. that doesn't seem enough to make the car sit higher !

The struts I used for replacement came off a set attached to a sub-frame that had the cast steel wishbones [as opposed to the pressed steel]

I haven't fitted the sub-frame or wishbones so the originals are on the car

Why is the car sitting so high? any ideas?

rob

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

do you know the source of the struts ie, what car were they from.

also what was the part number of the Sachs inserts.

IanW_home
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I presume that the new coil has the smaller diameter by 0.25 inch. That would make it rather stiffer.
Have a look at http://www.acxesspring.com/spring-calculator.html
Use Hard Drawn ASTM A227 as the material.

Guessing at what I recall of the front spring size, 0.25" in OD goes from 8 N/mm to 12 N/mm (i.e. 50% stiffer).

A search also throws up http://www.ridetech.com/info/spring-rate-calculator/ which looks like fun.

Ian.

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ian,

The actual spring diameter is 14.6 =/- 0.02 mm. There looks to be 6 "hoops" . This is the same on the old and new set-up.

To see if there was any difference between hoop diameter, I put some masking tape on a spring and wound it round a full 360 Deg and marked with pencil on the tape, this would measure circumference. I did the same on old and new and the difference was small at about 0.25 inch. ie the new spring diameter was bigger but such a small amount.

I can check again and try and be more precise

Mike asked me what car the springs came from ?? I bought the whole lot off ebay, subframe, wishbones and struts. I was sold these as suitable for Coupe Quattro. The only give away was that the wishbones are cast steel as opposed to pressed steel. Does this identify the car the front suspension came from ?

When I get better measurements I can use those calculators.......... they look good Smile

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the only cars to get the cast wishbones were the 20v saloons and the S2 up until 1994 plus the RS2.

Did you get hubs as well or were they swapped over from you existing ones ?

If you got the hubs and they're 4 stud, you have saloon struts

IanW_home
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies!

Circumference not the same thing as diameter. Back to school for me...

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mike says that cast wishbones were used on saloons and S2. By solooon I read Audi 90 ?

http://www.20v.org/suspupgr.htm

Looking at this link I think I may have struts from a 90 Quattro sport................ which isn't compatible...... as I can see [much to my disappointment].

This is another part of a long story of trying to buy correct parts for my Coupe Q

I already have two brand new sets of Lowering springs................ but they are for Coupe not Coupe Q Laughing

I already have a pair of beautifully powder coated front struts....................but they are for Coupe not Coupe Q Laughing

And now I have a beautifully powder coated and refurbished pair of front struts and springs etc but they appear to be from a 90 Q Sport Rolling Eyes

They way forward: I will refurb the original struts that were recently removed, BUT I will fit lowering springs [plus some shocks that work with the lowered springs]

Anybody have suggestions. I think 25 to 30 mm [from stock] will be fine

thanks

rob

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

20v saloons = audi 90 20v. The engine never appeared in the 80.

S2 springs were lower than 20v springs from the factory. That would be my recommendation

recurveandy
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I can see, the strut is the same across the 80/90 and coupe, quattro and FWD. The exception being the S2 which is a different diameter
There was a change in the mounting bolts from M12 to M14 but other than that, they should all fit to each other
Cast wishbones would have been fitted to whatever was on the line at the time, my '89 10v CQ came with them.
Drop Yaz a pm, he sorted me a deal on a set of Cobra springs, they are good quality, I've had them on a few quattros now and have no problems. My current set up is cobra springs with bilstein B8 shocks, very firm but not overkill.

AOC#1295
1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
1999 AGZ Bora (For the Doris)
1997 ACK A6 Avant Q (Under the knife)
1984 JS Coupe GT (restoring)
1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage) 
robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK,

Solved the problem........................... I put the original springs back on and now sits level

The springs that I had fitted [ remember came attached to struts attached to wishbones attached to front subframe] were 70 mm longer when compared on the originals.

I don't know how, but it was just not right.......

I am happy now Smile

View next topic
View previous topic