London's Award winning Audi/ Seat/ Skoda/ VW/ Bentley Specialist
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Auto Roof Control Module Fix
 
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Mrdzwiedz
Newbie
Newbie



Joined: May 14, 2016
Posts: 1
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I recently purchased my 1994 Cabriolet with non working roof and a lot of other things that are wrong with it (It's been sitting for 7+ years...). First I managed to get it running so next step was the roof. I've been going through all the posts in this forum which were of great help, I wouldn't be able to fix the problems without You guys, lots of knowledge here. There was only one thing I had to figure out myself though. I haven't seen this problem being shown anywhere, so I figured I'll return the favor and contribute with some additional knowledge here. Hopefully it'll be of some help to someone with the same problem.

Lets start with what I had fixed first:
- Fixed the rear looms, all wires were damaged
- E-brake switch
- Fixed the trunk actuator (damaged traces on PCB)
- Replaced fuse #24 - 30A (no power at pump relay)

Block values were all good until the step where the actuator is supposed to lock the trunk. The roof worked all the way only if I locked the trunk manually. Central lock didn't work on the trunk either when you turn the key in the door. Double checked the wiring from the roof control module to the actuator, everything was good. Tested trunk actuator if it works with power given directly to it, it worked flawlessly. Since the roof control module is the one sending power to the actuator, this led me to believe that I have a faulty module, so I cracked it open.

Here is what I found inside the module:


I noticed a trace on the pcb is fried, so I moved all the stuff surrounding the damaged trace to see how bad it is. This trace connects to D9 on the connector side. At this point I looked online for used units but sellers are giving no warranties, selling as is. So I figured I can't make it any worse by trying to get this one fixed. I looked over the PCB to find out where this trace was connected to, and here is what I've done:


After I fixed the broken trace, plugged it back in and tried it out. The roof works without myself manually locking the trunk and central lock works without issues as well. Thankfully nothing else was damaged in the module when the trace got fried. This way I saved some $$ and even more important, headaches, from buying a module in unknown condition.

_________________
1994 Audi Cabriolet V6 - Project 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Forums ©