Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Bosch injectors for 2,3 20v (7A)

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jim1970 wrote:
has anyone tried using an urs4/s6 fuel rail instead of the adapters??? just a thought as the aan engine uses bosch injectors or dare i say it a volvo one

Was thinking along those lines at first. Problem is mounting it on the inlet manifold and securing the injector wiring and ht leads. The plastic housing for the wiring will not attach easily to these fuel rails

jim1970
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

or use a complete urs4/6 intake manifold like here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I27WmAwNWNI the guy has fitted a 7a engine into a 944 porker, of course the sir filter is now stuck right in the way of radiator, intersting though

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.944-20v.nl/

is the build link.

standard 20v inlet manifold has longer runners for improved throttle response.

You'd have several issues to contend with using the AAN. Throttle cable, throttle body and tps would need wiring mods pas pump would need moved, radiator would need moved.

jim1970
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

So before i rush out and get some injectors i am now confused as to which ones are best to use, the original grey ones which flow the same as the hitachi ones or go for the red volvo ones, any ideas

scotty33
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are 2 reasons the injectors are upgraded,

1 The jet type spray pattern from the Hitachis is good for top end power but does less well, lower down. The atomised spray pattern from the greys gives similar hp to the Hitachis but at slightly lower rpm 5900 vs 6000 and most owners seem to notice a boost in midrange, with the 'kick' coming in lower at 3500 rpm instead of 4000 with the Hitachi's

2 Manufacturers build engines with emissions in mind, so wide open throttle mixture will be set at or near stoichiometric level which is 14.7 parts air to 1 part petrol. At this ratio there is (mostly) complete combustion. However more HP is achieved at a ratio of approx 12.5:1 air/fuel. Selecting an injector that achieves this will give more hp and less mpg at wide open throttle. At cruising conditions, the lambda sensor should keep control of the fuelling.
Presumably the ford/Volvo injectors are still an atomising type as well as having higher flow rate than stock. 034 motorsports dyno'ed their offering as giving 6hp more (5%) at the wheels on a US coupe quattro 20v

Passat sport tdi 2001 X 2  
jim1970
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that, so in essence pick the grey ones if you want the same or run the red ones if yo want a performance increase, either way getting rid of the hitachis is good thing

istoo
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

basically yes, ditch the hitachis as they are a bit of a weak link.

jim1970
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So where can i get the correct size viton O rings from for the injector adapters by the looks of things the BS sizes are not exactly 14 x 3 as previously posted by Mike or doesn't it matter to that degree????

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It does matter.

if you get a BS size which comes in at 13.87 x 3.53mm, they won't work as they're too large. Guess how I know this

If you look closely at the 034 adapters which come with O-rings, they are a different size to the Audi OEM injector O-rings.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng83.shtml

I'd suggest 14x3mm is the largest size that will fit inside the fuel rail.

Miki
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
It does matter.

if you get a BS size which comes in at 13.87 x 3.53mm, they won't work as they're too large. Guess how I know this

If you look closely at the 034 adapters which come with O-rings, they are a different size to the Audi OEM injector O-rings.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng83.shtml

I'd suggest 14x3mm is the largest size that will fit inside the fuel rail.

I have an extra fuel rail which was perfect to make a test before the real installation.
Finally I bought 14x3mm like Mike advised and looks like this is the right size. I'm also not sure that you can put a bigger one. It's already quite tight.

Miki
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As for me I have all the necessary parts for the injectors replacement.
The last open point is the resistor which should be disconnected. I don't want to cut any wire so I bought the two connector from Audi with the wires.
One question. Am I right that all the wires (2x3 pcs) from the two connector has to be connected together in one point?

jim1970
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Miki,

reading this article here there should be 6 wires if i can count correctly, and yes they are all supposed to go together.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/content_eng83.html

Be very interested to hear how the conversion is for you once done.

Jim

Miki
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Everyone!
It's time to give you some feedback about the injector project.
First of all thanks for all helps and suggestions you gave me here! They were really helpfull for me.

Finally the injectors are installed. I still haven't have long experience with this new set up, so let me just write down what I found out after replacement.
Needless to say it based on feeling. There was no any measurement before/after. It would have been nice but I had no chance for that. Also have to be mentioned that I found the old injectors in a quite bad condition. It means to compare the old one with the Bosch won't give us the real difference.

Basicly the engine has now a smoother run. According to the gauge the basic rpm is lower with roundabout 50 rpm with the Bosch injectors. As for the power I don't feel so big difference but on the higher rpms seems to be more powerfull.

To mix the story a little bit more, not so much later after the injector replacement, I changed the original manifold to the tubular one Smile With this replacement I feel more torque anyway especially on lower rpms and that famous 20v power jump comming earlier around 3600 rpm insteed of about 4000 rpm.

All in one I'm happy with this injector replacement. 21 year is a long time for the injectors so it was high time to change. It was a good decision. My opinion is if you want to keep the costs down, better to bay Volvo injectors due to easier to get in Europe than the E34 Motorsport one, and they are absolute the same.

scotty33
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for sharing, sounds good Very Happy

Passat sport tdi 2001 X 2  
Miki
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For bonus one pic from my car with 2011 fashion Smile
16" Azev A rims and Treser rear lights added this year Cool

DSC041961.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.28 KB
 Viewed:  891 Time(s)

DSC041961.JPG

Tom_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Micky, nice 20V. I am looking to buy a 034 injectors kit, but its too expensive and i found your topic. So whats the best solution?The Volvo injectors? What about o rings and adapters?

Volvo 0280155831 are brown color,is that correct?

robschoice1
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tom_ wrote:
Hi Micky, nice 20V. I am looking to buy a 034 injectors kit, but its too expensive and i found your topic. So whats the best solution?The Volvo injectors? What about o rings and adapters?

Volvo 0280155831 are brown color,is that correct?

Yes just read this also....... what a great thread and big thanks to all in sharing............... from quite some time ago......... I would need to re read but arent the 31 o rings the one to go for and as chap from Hungary was saying......... cheaper injectors with same performance as 034...... were they Volvo ?...... someone gave part Nos ?... Was v interested to hear gains from Tubular..... my 20VQ sat on drive for two years.............. and have just started to think about putting back on road so really lovely to read this thread Smile

View next topic
View previous topic