Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Using an AFC Engine in place of an AAH engine

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
catatung
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys, I've been searching for hours and can't find a concrete answer to my question. I have a 1994 Audi 90CS which originally had a seized 2.8 AAH engine. The engine was removed years ago and junked, so I have no parts from it. I want to know if I can buy a 2.8 AFC engine from the more commonly found A4s. I see many mentions of swapping heads from my searching but no mention of complete motor swap interchangeability.

Is there someone who has done this and can confirm what the outcome is before I invest in an AFC engine? As I understand it the AFC engines employ many improvements over the original AAH design, however I want to know if I will run into any issues with sensors and connectors, especially considering I do not have the original engine to pick parts from.

Any help or advice is much much appreciated. Thanks

Randy

catatung
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody? To elaborate, the AAH engine is the 2.8L V6 in the Audi 90's. The AFC is the 2.8LV6 in the Audi A4's. As I understand it they are extremely similar, some would even argue the AFC is just an AAH with internal improvements. However I cannot get die-hard confirmation that one will work directly in place of the other.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

is the afc not a 30v engine ?

catatung
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's my understanding that the early A4's got the AFC which was still a 12V engine, based off of the original AAH design but redesigned in some ways. The 30V is an AHA (as I understand it) and came out somewhere around 97-98. I am just wondering if an early A4 engine can be used drop-in replacement as an AAH. I've read in many places the main difference is better oil flow design with the oil pan but I cannot ascertain that they run similarly the same way internally and as such could be dropped into an Audi 90 which was originally equipped with the older AAH.

The older AAH engines are hard to find but more importantly, if the AFC operates the same way internally I would rather buy one of those and get more benefits for doing the work of a swap.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

12v was the abc 2.6.

You really want the 2.8

catatung
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps the ABC is also a 12v engine but my research shows the AAH and AFC were also 12v engines... From 12v.org:

Quote:

There were three major revisions of the 2.8l 12v engine:
The AAH V6 was the first 12v engine.
The AFC version had several modifications to the running gear and lubrication system. See the Features section for more details.

Absolutely I want a 2.8, as the AAH that it was originally equipped with was a 2.8. My question is if a slightly newer AFC (which is 12v as well as the original AAH) can be used as a drop in replacement for an AAH, or will I need to hunt down an actual AAH which is harder to find and also has the inferior oil pan design.

Additionally, it's said on 12v.org:
Quote:

AFC engines are identified by a punch mark or a recess in the lifting eye on the front of the right cylinder head.

Some engines have the mark on the lifting eye, but are stamped as AAH engines. These engines, which were produced between August 1994 and May 1995, are referred to as AAH/AFC on this site.

This is one of the reasons I have speculation that the AFC may be usable in place of the AAH.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd never heard of the AFC engine until this post.

Research suggests it was only fitted to the A6 so it may be harder to source

View next topic
View previous topic