Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - rollbar upgrade

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
nogin
Account deactivated by user request

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

has anyone done a rollbar upgrade on & 80q? the none link arm type connected to the wishbone not the rear of strut leg? ive replaced everything on this 80q underneath, subframe bushes the lot + full respray all colour coded looks d dogs Very Happy and powerflow ss zorst. 2ltr 8v at the mo gasflowed head but will be a 2.2 5 pot this summer hence looking for 90 sport springs on another topic, i believe theres a difference between 3 series 80 & 90q springs loadwise, though they look the same to me on the car as i have both cars, the 90 is the doner car with just 86k on it. im a lucky man as i also have a 100q avant to strip 2.2 & a 2.2 engine in the shed with 82k so gasflowed head +nitrous here i come Laughing sorry but i had to get all that off my chest. info plz love it.

MadDogMe
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 2.2 90 with a gas flowed head and fat cam. I can't get the head & block to seal properly though. It's a brand new, 0 miles, 'fresh from the factory, in an audi box' engine block and pistons. I've had the head skimmed and been through 3 new gaskets an two sets of new head bolts and still it sprays water out the pipe Sad . Only thing I can put it down to is some of the bolts are stretching during the 180-degree tighten. They are tight then they suddenly go real easy to turn...

There's an old 2.2 turbo engine on ebay I want at the moment in notts/derby. Whole engine, ancilleries and ECU, ect. Get me that and you can have myblock and TSR A-pack head...

nogin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for offer of engine maddog but ive got enough to keep me going here at the mo, Smile but will see if i can get some answers on that head/block for you. do you not think there might be a hairline crack somewhere? even though its a new one Confused

MadDogMe
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Does it with two different heads. I'd suspect the block more if it wasn't brand spanking new. I can't imagine it would of made it out of germany if it was faulty?...

nogin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

could have happend in trasit? you say it squirts water out the pipe in your first post, what pipe? Confused

MadDogMe
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Exhaust pipe! Razz ...

nogin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

got to be a crack in the block dood' me thinks, after 2 heads or dodgy head gaskets? could do with a pressure test or something, it wont matter to much if you get that turbo unit though will it Laughing

ANDYCQ20V
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MadDog - interesting to read about you head gasket problems - you say 'it squirts water out of the exhaust pipe - i take it you mean actual water and not just alot of condensation? and you've not had the exhaust storred so that it may have water in it? - but if as you say the head bolts suddenly go slack then it may be that the thread in the block is knackered or something is warped if its not the head then maybe the block. Have you checked the block for being bent? Does the water system pressurize and do you get water in the oil? For water to come out of the exhaust it must be drawn into the cylinders and then pushed out past the valves - you need to be careful you don't hydraulic the con rods!!

It does seem a shame that if you've spent so much time and money on the car and then can't drive it - woulod it not be quicker just to rebuild all the bits into a good second hand block and see if it runs properly then.

Let us know if you finally found out why it keeps loosing water.

Cheers
Andy

MadDogMe
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for hijacking your thread, nogin!...

I've started using a bit of 7 foot scaffold bar because I wondered if there was a load of water trapped in the 'zorsts boxes. It quite literaly sprays water out of the end, even when the pipes well warmed up (that rules out condensation. I just can't imagine the block being faulty. Surely it wouldn't of made it out of germany???...

I've since tried it again (I've had the head on/off more than 20 times!!) without the bolts 'slipping' at all and it still throws water out of the pipe Sad ...

I'm going to make a 'blanking plate' out of a bit on inch thick MDF with inspection holes for the bores, bolt it down onto the top of the block and fill/pressurize the coolant loop to see if I can see any seepage/cracks in the bores. If I can't I'll have to remove the engine (3rd time single handed!) and get it skimmed. This has been an ongoing battle since mid-summer. I managed to do my back in (and trap a nerve) the last time I did the 'engine out' job. I still can't walk properly now. Lady luck seems to have a very accurate bombscope when she '$h!t$ down on me from high' Razz ...

The turbo lump+ECU+loom went for £140!!! Sad I just never had any transport to go get it...

ess-two
UltraUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@ maddog

you say you've had the head of more than 20 times, did you use new studs/bolts/nuts the last time?

just a thought Smile

MadDogMe
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been through 3 new gaskets and two new sets of bolts Sad ...

View next topic
View previous topic