Adrian Flux Insurance
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - URQ - BUYING ADVICE - WR ENGINE

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
URJOHN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try and post buying advice sections on the URQ when time permits - engine, transmission, bodywork etc

ENGINE:

It's impossible to check every aspect for a potential URQ purchase. However I have listed some of the MAJOR issues to look out for, specific to the WR URQ. I have excluded obvious ones such as oil/fluid leak detection

IMPORTANT:
Ensure the seller does not warm-up the car before you arrive(specifically request that he/she does not warm the car up)

* Listen for big-end rumble/excessive top end Tappet rattles on start-up. You should expect a slight top-end rattle when cold but this should clear after 20-45 seconds.

* Listen carefully for a ticking sound(the death tick) from the exhaust manifold area when the engine is COLD- URQ manifolds pack in regularly @300-400 each(part only)

* Warm-up the engine and do a compression test on ALL 5 cylinders. If they are not showing over 85PSI then consider walking away or taking 1.5-2k off the final offer price as the engine is worn.

* Carefully check the oil(dipstick and filler cap) for water contamination(white froth) If present then the head and or block needs attention..again take 1.5-2k off your offer price.

* Take the car out for a run and make sure it's pulling well. At 60mph and in 5th gear drop her into 4th and let her overrun. If a puff of black smokes come out the exhaust then it's another sign of serious engine problem lurking/looming- also supported if the compression test is less than 85PSI

Most WR's are a tad rough at tickover and many need warm-up reg's(250), turbos(395), metering heads(325), cold start valves(40), injectors(25) and engine mounts(45) etc. The info above is a guide to help avoid the VERY expensive engine related horror stories after buying.

Engine summary - budget 400-600 in year one for key component replacement outlined above.

Major potential costs - bottom-end crankshaft - 800-900(no longer available from Audi) and difficult to find a good one

Cylinder head - 400-500 exchange from Audi(becoming very difficult to source now and soon to be terminated).

Engine block - rebores @200 each - rare to find a new/exchange one nowadays.

Complete engine rebuild - 1,700(DIY) to 3,200(garage services)..be warned.

Ask questions/seek proof on servicing(oil + filters), repairs carried out - ie regulators, engine mounts etc. What spark plugs is the car running?

Don't get carried away by thinking if the bodywork looks great then everthing else must be. The engine is the heart of a URQ so get one
with a good engine and the rest won't be such a burden

JSW

SteveB
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm told manifolds are now about 550.00 !

84 WR in bits very slowly going back together
1979 Scirocco Storm - in need of some TLC

www.naomihouse.org.uk 
womble
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would be more worried about the condition of the body work than the oily bits.All of the mechanical parts can be sorted out with new or 2nd hand parts, they are all out there if you know where to look but the bodywork if in poor condition can render the car fit only for scrap.Front wings for instance are at the moment unavailable and a lot of the other panels are hard to get costly or deleted. The last Sills i got were 275 per side and back wings and boot floors are silly money. Overlook the bodywork at your peril!

Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Im probably a little late in posting this but Audi are now releasing wings @ 200 a side. Offside wings due anytime now.

womble
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

200 a side, thats as cheap as chips.I bet they won`t be available for long though.

Site OWNER

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

if it falls through, the club has a member that willl arrange to get tools made and replacements follow not long after......

markdas01
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I delayed buying front wings 2 years ago and paid the price of having to wait until the QOC got audi to make more.....I delayed ordering the new ones until yesterday....guess what...Audi have put the price up to 511 + VAT each......That makes a respray cost an additional 1000 before you start! Thanks Audi.....xxx

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was speaking to Dave Preece from QOC last night actually- the initial batch have all gone back because their fit was crap....

womble
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ouch! Looks like i will still be in demand for repairing them then. Pity as i was thinking of buying 5 of each side and sticking them in the attic which i did about 15 years ago with a load of dolomite sprint ones.I have just sold the last of them.Would have been a good investment, but not at that price!

View next topic
View previous topic