Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Self Levelling valve help type 44

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
5-potnoodle
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Previous owner had reversed the send/return pipes to the levelling valve causing "burst" shockers. I have replaced the shockers and for a few moments, all was well but then the suspension went down and it seems as though the levelling valve doesn't change the height anymore (and worse, it's dribbling through the spindle).

I probably need a new one but does anyone know if it's possible to recondition these valves? Or better still, does anyone have a good one going spare?

The part number is 443 616 151 if it helps.

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi, never heard of it being reconned, but i'm sure if u could get the seals, could be done...

(its the only part of the self levelling i havnt changed)

worth using audi hydraulic fluid as it is more viscous than atf which most garages put in the system (and atf has no antifoam agent for the power steer part of the circuit)

if i bin/scrap my car soon you can have the lot.. (1987 100 avant cd) as i'm looking for one a bit newer..........

what is audi's price for one? (i paid about £200 for brake equaliser valve 2 years ago)

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

forgot to say, bleeding system requires you to raise and lower the back of the car about 3-6 times, (so the wheels come off the ground) , gets the air out the struts. either a mates garage hydraulic ramp, very handy, or jack under towbar....

ignore the haynes advice (which does work for the rest of the system)

5-potnoodle
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Eddie for the bleeding advice Very Happy I didn't know about the raising/lowering bit. Does that need to be done with the bleed nipple open?

I think I forgot to say that it's for a 200 QT avant so I've had to bite the bullet and get a new valve from VAG. It seems the valve for the quattro versions is different to the non-quattro ones and at GBP277 is more expensive. Even though they look identical, there is alledgedly a difference according to VAG. Maybe it's the E tacked on to the end of the part number that costs an extra 70 quid! It'll be worth it though because when it works properly, I really like the hydraulic suspension on these cars.

I have a 100 2.3E Avant for sale at the mo (standard supension), it's in the classified section of this site. I'm open to offers.

Cheers for now.

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

where is your bleed nipple?

there is one on mine at the rear brake equaliser valve. if non vag fluid is in the system eg atf, this is where the bubbles collect, leading to embarrasing rear axle overtaking front maneuvres...... but i dont have to bleed it with vag fluid in.

re bleeding rear struts, initially they are full of air, then when engine starts, some oil will get to them as air will decrease in volume when compressed. then raise and lower rear of car several times, and a little air will come back out the top of the struts every time you jack the car up. at least thats how i figure it works???

i'm looking for an a6 quattro, with turbos n stuff. but i will miss self levelling. i have this oddball theory it helps your braking.....?

5-potnoodle
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a thing called a distributor on the suspension hydraulic line. One pipe comes from the levelling valve, one goes to one of the spheres and a third goes to the brake compensating valve. There is a bleed nipple on this distributor.

According to the VAG parts list, A6's had self levelling suspension options including quattro versions, so you might get lucky. They were a slightly different setup to the type 44 but I agree with you about the braking effect, having compared with normal in the same chassis, gives you a lot more stability under heavy braking, especially with a caravan on the back Very Happy

avantissimo
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok it´s a few years ago but I had a far cheaper solution to the prob w the self-levelling on a 2.3 avant (1990 registered)
I just changed the whole legs (both rear ones) to standard non selflevelling ones. spring + shocks. took 3 days wait for used parts from a braker in coventry and 1 hour to fit. laying dead the hydraulic was more of a chalenge (combined w cluch operating if I remember correctly) but bendig the hose 180 degree, a screw to plug and some two component glue / seal did it. cost total: 50 pound. lasted 2yars whilst the car was in my hands and seems to be running still with next owner (sold it ca 6years ago.

eddiecrawford
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

yes, lots of garages do that cos its cheap, easier to fix than self levelling, and as you say you put a blind end on the single hydraulic line out of the brake bomb that goes to the self levelling. you need a rear brake regulator too, with spring to rear axle.

then the garages strip all the other working self levelling parts - 2 back bombs, regulator and distributer valves, 2 self levelling shocks, and flog them on. net profit usually! most of these older avants have had this done.... ok so i'm a bit cynical about garages. as you say though, still a cheaper option, and certainly easier to fix in the future.

5-potnoodle
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Converting to standard suspension is an option but not for me. Having been able to compare the difference between suspension setups, I would go for a correctly working self-levelling setup every time. As it's so close to being perfect, there really is no option. Besides, it's an Audi 200 Avant Quattro Turbo. One day there won't be many left and I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

View next topic
View previous topic