Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Girling 36 versus Girling 38 calipers, quattro model rear

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
beermonster
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 1985 coupe quattro, kv engine, 2226cc, with solid disks at the back. As standard, the car should have Girling 36's rear calipers fitted to match. Mine, of course, are foobarred.... Brakes work, but no handbrake. I have managed to get a pair of good second hand replacements, but I am told that I could actually fit Girling 38's instead, a more modern and less troublesome caliper...... Can anyone verify if this can be done????

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As long as they are a matched pair it shouldn't be a problem. The design changed so instead of a 12mm hex you have twin inserts on the outside of the piston for winding it back.

Just double check the handbrake cable routing is the same

beermonster
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Further to that, it turns out that there are 2 types of Girling 38's, and they differ in the orientation of the handbrake cable routing. I have also read that using 38's on a car originally fitted with 36's disturbs the brake balance, but I wouldn't have thought by much.

beermonster
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

based on what mike said about the 12mm hex / double cut-out thing, it would mean that mine has a 36 on the passenger side, and a 38 on the other........

Pilgrim
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

You should really have both sides the same (36's or 38's), although the difference is barely felt, the bigger diameter is designed to be more effficient and effective for braking.
Having said that, I'd driven my 20v about for a month with a siezed caliper, and didn't know it until I saw the back right disc rusting up through lack of use. Changed them both for 38's (about £70 exchange each).

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yes it does disturb the balance as there are different instructions for resetting the rear brakes based on the calipers fitted.

With 36mm calipers, 40 presses of the pedal are required to reset the rear pads.

With 38mm calipers, only 1 press is used.

I'd need to investigate if the parts numbers for proportioning valves and master cylinders are different

beermonster
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Further to the 36/38 caliper issue, I was told that when re-fitting new calipers to the back of the car, that I should try and aquire the caliper handbrake spring from off a Ford Granada, and substiute that for the Audi part..... Does anyone know anything about this rumour?????

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

problem is that Ford have discontinued one of the springs. One side is still freely available.

Part numbers are available here:

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/useful_part_numbers.htm

View next topic
View previous topic