Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A6 Radiator removel, air con question.

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
anorak_ian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my 1999 1.8 turbo A6 se has a duff water pump and I need to get to it by removing both of the radiators.
I have got it to the point where the connections to the air con radiator need to be removed, however before I do, I thought I'd best ask what it's filled with? I'm guessing it isn't water, right?

I don't use air con, do you see any problem with leaving it drained?

I need to get this back on the road asap, so a rapid reply would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

anorak_ian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After reading other forum entries on air con and rads etc, I'm a bit confused.

One entry states oil is used as a coolant for the aircon, but another states a second radiator is for water (heavy work with towing, turbo, aircon).

So if I take the rad hoses off what will drop out of it?

Cheers.

SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you have aircon, you have in effect 2 radiators. the thin one in front is connected to the aircon system with rigid aluminium pipework and thick semi-flexible hoses. The bigger radiator immediately behind that is connected to the engine in a conventional manner.

In the aircon system should be R134a refrigerant, this is a gas or liquid depending on the pressure and temperature.

In the engine and cooling radiator should be regular antifreeze (G12 I think - the pinky stuff).

Is is safe to drain the engine coolant. Attempting to drain the aircon coolant will result is it all just flashing off as a gas.

You may get a more detailed response from the other A6 forum on this site, this one deals with pre '98 models

View next topic
View previous topic