Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 2.5TDI into an 86 Hilux?!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
lastofthev8s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I'm an ex Audi owner and current mk2 Hilux 4x4 monster truck owner. Basically I'm looking to merge my two favorite brands.
I've thought about slotting in a 5cyl 2.5 tdi to replace the wheezy 2.4 N/A lump, it's been done before with 1.9tdi engines so there's already a bell housing conversion.
All I'm after at this stage is measurements of the 2.5tdi engine, such as length between front of the crank pulley and flywheel and length between cam belt cover and injector pump timing gear. These measurements need to be from the furthest points to gauge whether I will need to modify the bulkhead.
Also does anyone have a rough estimate for the cost of 2.5 tdi engine?
Thanks in advance.

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting idea. I'd been thinking about putting one in my Triumph 2.5PI together with a W58 Supra box but had been told the 1.9TDI bell housing won't fit the 2.5 - where would you get yours from?

I have and A6 2.5TDI but I don't think it'll be very easy to get the measurements you want with the engine in situ. Prepared to have a go but won't be until the weekend.......

Price..... who knows....... depends on your luck and timing I'd say.

This lot.....
http://www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk/breaking-dynamic/index.php

.......had an alleged low mileage AEL (140 hp version) up for sale last autumn - wanted £400 IIRC. Probably without loom, ECU etc though. Best to buy a complete car really though don't break a decent one! Also remember that Volvo used what is more or less the AEL in the 850TDI and S/V70 TDI. Later D5 is Volvos own and completely different.

Cheers

Nick

lastofthev8s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Nick, very helpful info. I found these guys for the Toyota gearbox - 1.9 tdi adapters http://acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php. But that was on the assumption that the 1.9 and 2.5 have the same bell housing bolt pattern. Its looking more like I might end up putting a 1.9 tdi in for cheap and easiness! Even a standard 90bhp 1.9 tdi has more power than my 2.4d (84bhp/115lb/ft).
Thanks again
Paddy

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought all "modern" (80- onwards) gearboxes had the same bell housing....

NickJones
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

audioc wrote:
I always thought all "modern" (80- onwards) gearboxes had the same bell housing....

Could well be right.... never had a 1.9 to look at.

For info, there is a Volvo V70 TDI with engine still complete at Lydford Cross Keys on A37 in Somerset. Usually very reasonable.

Nick

GT500
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

5 pot is different block pattern.

go with the 4. the 2.0 tdi is the same as 1.9 but a remapped 130 1.9 will give 175 ish.

HTH

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If a newer engine (say from an A4)- be advised if using the ECU, you will need the ECU, instrument binnacle and keys/ sensor- that's how the immobiliser works. You maybe able to get the ECU reprogrammed to bypass that- or try a different management system (such as megasquirt?)

lastofthev8s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the reply's people, I'm gonna have to look into the bell housing patterns, my mate has loads of 4/5 pot engines and boxes lying in his barn so I'll start there.
It's looking more and more like I'll be sticking with 4 cylinders at this point, the simpler the better so it will probably be something like a 1z 1.9 tdi. The other factor to take into account is that I really want to get my mk2 Scirocco back out this summer so the Hilux will have to wait till thats done. Also my hilux is my daily and my work vehicle so I'll have to be careful about the timing and have everything ready for the swap.

View next topic
View previous topic