Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Glass sunroof/Moon roof!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone have one of these installed in their vehicle?
Due to the last deluge I cannot ignore the obvious water ingress. I know Audi sunroofs have the notorious drip tray failure which seemed a reasonable place to start investigating.
I have never opened the roof in my ownership so I was somewhat surprised to see it both tilt and slide. I noticed from the label visible at the front that it appears to be a Hollandia TVS, the glass itself is a Sekurit branded item like most of the glass on the vehicle.
I think the drip tray has been permanently screwed to the frame as there are no arms attached to it, using pictures from the internet to identify components. The other issue being the deterioration of the metal frame around the glass which looks badly corroded. Typical, using the only material that would rust given the opportunity.
The biggest problem is knowing whether this is an OE option or a retrofit. The only brochure I have seen implies that on SE models, electronic climate control was in lieu of a sunroof and the metal tilting/sliding sunroof was an extra cost option. The parts catalogue lists a glass sliding roof but it seems to be operated via the usual Audi rotary dial/switch rather than a single switch. Even the handle for the sunblind inside the car is branded Hollandia.
Unfortunately I do not have the original documents with a copy of the build sticker and cannot locate the one on the car (an Avant)!
I have only seen one other roof of this type on an S6 and that also sems to have had issues! See pics below.
Guess I need to sort it out before it effectively ruins the car. The headlining sags once the moisture levels rise although appears to regain its shape once it drys out.

S6 sunroof.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.84 KB
 Viewed:  671 Time(s)

S6 sunroof.jpg

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here is another shot of that S6 in which you can see the rocker switch above the centre interior light rather than the usual rotary dial.
Having found some more pics it does appear that the roofs are identical bar the control. The only other difference I can see is mine has an external seal around the roof which is lifting. Which if taken into consideration with the controls does sort of imply its an aftermarket version of the same roof that Audi fitted. It also explains why I can't find a part number for that seal!

S6 sunroof1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.38 KB
 Viewed:  560 Time(s)

S6 sunroof1.jpg

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here are some better links to information:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/178721.phtml
http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/195042.phtml
From the above it does look like somebody has attached the drip tray to the frame on mine! I am surprised the roof went backwards without hitting it. If its been secured in the right position I guess its not the problem. Need to check that though.
The real issues are sourcing parts, especially the actual glass sunroof panel. A quick check of the panel p/n showed it was listed for 100/A6 models but the seal was listed for A8 models up to about 03 with either the glass or solar roof. In fact the A8 panel differes by one letter in the model designation bit of the p/n to the 100/A6 one. Would help to have a much later model for parts donation.
Of course it might well prove to be that Hollandia/Webasto are a better source of spares than Audi although I think a whole panel for spares is going to be my best bet.
I wonder if the solar panel itself is interchangable. Could use that to trickle charge the battery perhaps. Be happy to have a moisture free interior really.

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like this is a forerunner of the Webasto/Hollandia 700 which is sort of good news as parts are still available including the roof panel and the seals. Guess I will have to find out what period its from as it could have been fitted to the car when new or fitted at a later date.
There are several width/length variants of the glass panel so will need to work out which one it is. Alarmingly there is one size that is twice as expensive as all the other ones. So worst case is stumping up for a new one. Even the drip tray is available.
That leaves the possibility of sourcing the parts I need from an A8 cassette. I guess its likely that Audi sourced its sunroofs from Webasto and just changed the controls. The reason for the external seal on mine is probably due to the retro fit.
Perhaps the original purchaser decided that the £761.40 back in the day for a vulgar metal roof was not worth it and spent a similar amount (or less) on this one.

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like the A8 solution is a non starter. Whilst the seal might be the same I had not considered that it is propably supplied as a length which is trimmed to fit which could accomodate different width/depths. I cannot confirm this unfortunately. The drip tray p/n differs as well which also implies a different width I guess.
So in the unlikely event I can turn up a decent s/h replacement from a C4, looks like new is the only option for the panel and that would still leave the drip tray issue to resolve. Might have to look for a replacement without a sunroof! It will probably be more cost effective.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

have you tried www.allaudi.co.uk in Bristol to see if they can help?

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I am 99% sure now that this is an aftermarket fitment so not sure whether there is going to be any commonality with OE stuff.
Looking at a schematic it looks like this roof is back to front compared with the OE fitment. The motor is on the rear not the front! Also the drip tray does indeed appear to be fixed rather than retracting with the roof.
It does explain why there is no sunroof motor hump and cover plate with the switch. So I also don't have the moulded headliner! Or indeed the factory crank handle if it goes pear shape.
I did connect the owner of that S6 just in case he still had the car but naturally he broke it and threw away the roof with the shell!
Still need to do some research as to whether the later Webasto stuff is compatible. I guess Audi just got Webasto to configure it with features they wanted when its an OE fitment. I have a sneaking suspicion that the roof panel might be interchangable but as I have never seen a factory fit one, obtaining a good replacement seems unlikely.
I'll try and get some pics to illustrate the differences between the OE/aftermarket to aid identification.

bernie
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi where are you based if you are close to manchester i can help you. cheers bernie.

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately about 200 miles South!
I'll PM you for a chat though. Thanks.

recurveandy
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm breaking an A6 at the moment with a metal sunroof with pre-select
I'm quite happy to cut the roof off complete so you can have the whole lot if required
Based in GL7 5UH but I can also deliver within a reasonable distance

Cheers
Andy

AOC#1295
1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
1999 AGZ Bora (For the Doris)
1997 ACK A6 Avant Q (Under the knife)
1984 JS Coupe GT (restoring)
1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)  
2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Andy!
Thanks for the offer!
I think the problem is going to be that because its not a factory roof, I will not be able to just swap one in. I think it is possible to swap between factory metal/glass ones. There is no guarantee that the hole cut by a fitter is gong to be in the right place and it will not have the nice factory return around the aperature.
To be honest if I was to use something cut out, I would be looking for a non sunroof car as a donor. Which sort of brings me round full circle!

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

While a wait a respons from Bernie, here are some pics that might help identification if you are unfortunate enough to come accross one of these roofs.
First clue, label on the frame!
There is a peg in the roof lining with open embossed on it. This is a 1/4 turn fitting which I assume is to support the headlining to the frame of the sunroof.
The handle in the sunshade is branded Hollandia.
The rocker switch control - no preselector.
There is is no detachable sunroof motor cover.

Label.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.07 KB
 Viewed:  536 Time(s)

Label.JPG

Peg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.74 KB
 Viewed:  540 Time(s)

Peg.JPG

Handle.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.2 KB
 Viewed:  584 Time(s)

Handle.JPG

Switch.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.94 KB
 Viewed:  505 Time(s)

Switch.JPG

No hump.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.91 KB
 Viewed:  515 Time(s)

No hump.JPG

Last edited by 2qu on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total 
2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

And here are some shots of the general condition of the frame which I think is largely responsible for the problem and the trip rail which is secured to the frame with screws so obviously does not retract like an OE one! You can also see the external seal around the roof opening which does not seem to be fitted to OE roofs.
The only way to truely assess the condition of the panel is to remove it, which I am reluctant to do unless I am certain I can source a replacement.
I have emailed Webasto to see if they can tell me anything but I guess they will refer me back to a dealer.

Rust1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.78 KB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

Rust1.JPG

Rust2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.73 KB
 Viewed:  566 Time(s)

Rust2.JPG

Rust4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.1 KB
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)

Rust4.JPG

Rust5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.77 KB
 Viewed:  571 Time(s)

Rust5.JPG

Trip tray.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.26 KB
 Viewed:  562 Time(s)

Trip tray.JPG

Drip tray1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102 KB
 Viewed:  540 Time(s)

Drip tray1.JPG

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The dimensions are as best as I can measure 445mm deep (465 mm including the 10mm seal) and 770mm wide (790mm including the 10mm seal). The visible glass area is 380mm X 660mm. Unfortunately none of those tie in to the dimensions I have found for the 700 Series!
When I say seal, there is a 10mm seal around the panel not the actual seal to the roof.

2qu
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bit more digging has narrowed it down. Pretty sure that this roof is a Hollandia TVS (Tilt /Vent/Slide) 43 Classic/Super using clues such as the glass marking (Sekurit), the sunshade handle marked Hollandia and the switch! This roof was discontinued in 96/97 so ties in with the age of the car.
Webasto Techinical as I thought refered me to a local dealer. Awaiting a response. It does appear that the Hollandia 700 series might provide a replacement. I think I have narrowed it down from the dimensions to a 730 roof but would like to have confirmation. Fortunately that looks like one of the cheaper replacements.

View next topic
View previous topic