Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Newbie with 80Avant 2.0 16v fuel gauge problem

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
v8kitten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello people, I`ve just found and registered with this forum and am still finding my way around it! From what i`ve seen up to now i think i`ll be on here quite a lot! I`ve just bought an Audi 80 Avant 2.0 thats been lowered on coilovers, de-badged etc. I`m extremely happy with it, but there`s 1 problem with it, the fuel gauge doesn`t work! It worked today for the 1st time for about 20 seconds! Is this a common fault and is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance Very Happy

Tatty
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More than likely that there is a dry solder joint on the mother board/printed circuit on speedo head.
There is a good link on here somewhere with a step by step guide on how and what to do.

Hope this helps

Oh and welcolm Smile

Audi coupe 2.0 pelican blue 
daz-the-dogg
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is the temperature gauge playing up too? or reading low? if so its the voltage regulator on the back of the clocks, its a 3 legged regulator, available from maplins. If temp gauge is working ok check the fuel level sender in the tank as well as the wiring

v8kitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the replies. I was thinking the temp gauge was reading a bit low, but I haven`t been that far in it or in any traffic! How do the clocks come out to change the regulator? I`ll have a look before the weekend hopefully.

merton
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

there are a couple of screws to take the steering coluum surround off(around the stalks) then there are two small screws at the bottom of the dash insert, once you have them out you can pull the insert forward and you will have to take the wiring plugs off the back, there are tabs that have to be pulled up to then remove the plugs, the dash insert will come out without having to remove the steering wheel. if the temp gauge is working it wont be the volgate regulator thats at fault , ii think it will be down to the most common fault which is the contacts are loose for the gauges, there are two pairs of screws for the gauges that you can remove and clean the contacts and make sure the screws are fairly tight. if this doesn't help then it may be a bad solder joint or the foel tank sender or wiring is playing up. theres loads of info on the forum if you use its search. good luck.

v8kitten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

changed the voltage regulator and the temp gauge is now working, but still no fuel gauge!! tried searching on the forum for other posts etc about it and cant find anything(but that could be me doing something wrong, i`m not too good with technology!!)

View next topic
View previous topic