Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Impartial advice on which car.

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
networkn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi There!

I have a BMW 2011 E91 Touring 335i, and I have liked it, but not loved it. It has way too little grip for my personal liking, though over time I have learned to handle it. It's now 3 years since I bought it and I am considering replacing it.

I previously owned a 2004 Audi S4 Avant and I LOVED that car. It put a smile on my face every time I drove it.

The cars I am considering to replace the BMW are :

1) 2015 BMW 335d xDrive
2) 2015 BMW 330D xDrive (Possibly with the BMW performance chip)
3) 2014 Audi S4 Avant

I drove the 330D and thought it to be a very nice car, but the power wasn't as effortless as with my 335i probably for good reason. I don't have any opportunity to try the chipped version.

I drove the S4 and LOVED it (though it was more twitchy than I would expect from an AWD Car.

For about 90K NZD I can get a brand new 330XD with just about every single option ticked. It makes the most sense on paper. A moderately spec'd 335D would cost about 4-5K More. I can pick every option as it's brand new built for me. I can have the exact car I can afford.

The Audi would cost 85-90K and a year older, unsure on specification (Will vary based on what the first owner ordered it with) and unable to specify any options.

I know this is a Audi forum but hopefully I can get some not too biased advice on what to buy this time around. I will keep it for 3-4 years.

1) Is the 330 Chipped pretty much a 335 and should I do that instead?
2) Performance and handling are priorities over nice to have features.

The deal on the BMW has a timer, if I buy an Audi I can do that in my own time frame.

I bought the BMW because I got an amazing deal on it last time, and it's been a very nice car, performs well, and on a flat surface, outcorners my 2004 Audi. The issue I have is if the road isn't even or flat, then the RWD has less grip.

I will be unable to drive the 335D prior to buying it as they are sold to order, not being as common.

I'd appreciate comments from people who ideally have driven all 3 cars, and could offer some comparisons.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do you want / need a diesel due to mileage ?

If so you should be looking at the 3.0tdi and not the S4. Both the BMWs you mention are diesels.

networkn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mikes2 wrote:
Do you want / need a diesel due to mileage ?

If so you should be looking at the 3.0tdi and not the S4. Both the BMWs you mention are diesels.

Diesel is not a priority (Fuel consumption reduction is a nice to have but not a must have). The 3.0 TDI is not a 335i Equivalent, the S4 is.

rippo4u
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

The advice I have had is:

1. You drive under 10k a year and mostly short distances - PETROL

2. If you drive 20k plus a year and lots of long trips - DIESEL

BUT it will teke you 100k miles on Diesel to recover the extra you have paid for that engine.

I do 7-8 k a year so PETROL for me.

Whatever fuel you use - it costs money ! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

2005 Avant 2.0 (140) Tdi GONE 48.9 mpg
2000 Avant 1.9 (115) Tdi GONE 55.0 mpg
1996 Saloon  

View next topic
View previous topic