Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Cabrio trip computer/Autocheck question

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys. First see my introducing that I move to here
I am trying to install trip computer with Autocheck.
My first question is are all the trip computer modules equipped with the Autocheck, or just some of them? Someone told me not all have it.

Also is there a difference in the part number for UK and USA cars? The reason - the USA gallon is a lot different than the Imperial gallon - google it
In ETKA it shows one part number for UK/USA and all athoers who use miles and gallons and one for EU standard. Am I thinking right that ECU gives the correct info to the trip computer and actually makes it shows the correct numbers?
I found a few trip computers with the wiring and the wiper switch in ebay, but how do I know if they have the AUtocheck?

thanks
GG Wink

andrewaudi
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From memory I'm pretty sure there's a selector switch on the back of the instrument cluster that allows you to select what the display should show...

shaun5
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Autocheck was on all the cars ive had that had a trip computer. There is a difference between UK and foreign displays.

Mikes2
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

you can also get trip computer modules for mini check

gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, some trip computers had autocheck, some don't - thats what my research showed. But all autochecks had trip comp.

THe usa and UK versions are the same I found. Only europe one is different but only because of the external symbols for liters and Kilometers. But if you connect Europe to UK/US car it will show up correct numbers but not matching the liters and gallons. Its confusing but thats what it is.

At the end, UK trip computer matches US trip computer because they are the same, only you have to switch that button, otherwise it will show up imperial gallon.
thanks to everybody Smile

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not quite correct, some cars had autocheck, but no trip computer. There is a coding plug which dictates the display from memory and the autocheck module has soldered jumpers to set it correctly. Are you planning on installing autocheck? I have and it's a lot of work, there is quite a lot of wiring involved to make it work correctly, to give you an idea here is my car in the process of doing the wiring.

I was fitting a few other things at the time so it is not necessary to go to quite that extent, but you'll need to run wiring from the front to the back, change the washer bottle and pump, fit bulb monitoring units etc. There is a lot involved.

90 Rover Mini Flame Red, Turbocharged
69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I know, thanks for warning me. I am about to put a manual gearbox and new engine, together with removing the dash for new heater core change. My heater core is ok, but I may know for the heater box problems. My car is Florida car and never ever needed heater, so thats why no one ever cared, but I moved a little far North and the heated seats are not enought.
So the autocheck will be installed at that time.
\
For the washer bottle - I know it. I have the bigger reservoir in my car, because I have headlight washers and I need to make one extra hole for the sensor-type pump. I did a hole and everything is now perfect. The bracket of the original non-sensor pump has some space inbetween , and this space is actually left for those sensor pumps. (usa models never had autocheck, only the coupe quattro)
here is pic of my work

I was wondering does the coupe quattro reservoir from a car with autocheck will fit in the cabriolet?

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you know what's involved. I'd strongly recommend getting all the plugs with a decent length of wire from a donor car along with the bulb monitoring units and warning buzzer. I got my washer bottle from a crashed S2 and it was just a straight swap, I'm not aware of a difference between coupe and cabriolet though.

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I will check soon and will see, but they should be the same.
I have a guide how to wire it step by step and I have the 3 pin connector plug from donor car, and will be able to find some more in the future if this doesnt work

What do you mean
Quote:
along with the bulb monitoring units and warning buzzer.

WHat monitoring bulb and buzzer? I thought its all inside the autocheck unit... or?

A80QAAH
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

gag4o wrote:
I will check soon and will see, but they should be the same.
I have a guide how to wire it step by step and I have the 3 pin connector plug from donor car, and will be able to find some more in the future if this doesnt work

What do you mean
Quote:
along with the bulb monitoring units and warning buzzer.

WHat monitoring bulb and buzzer? I thought its all inside the autocheck unit... or?

No, Minicheck has the warning buzzer for when you leave your lights on etc built in, but Autocheck uses a separate buzzer in the main relay unit. There is also a bulb monitor for the front lights which is a double relay hosued in the same unit and requires some rewiring to the fusebox for it to work correctly. The rear bulb monitor is located on the lhs of the boot behind the carpet and requires a wire to be run the length of the car and the rewiring of the rear lights which is actually very straightforward.

From memory what you need in addition to the bits for the washer bottle is as follows.

White plug for autocheck unit 26 pin
Front bulb monitoring unit with plug
Rear bulb monitoring unit with 2x plug
warning buzzer with plug
Rear bulb monitor requires 2x snap nuts and screws
There is also a 3 pin plug that connects the dash loom to the rear loom but you don't really need that.

Hope that helps

69 Austin Mini Cooper
71 MGB GT 
gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot. I have some kind of guide and it should help me somehow, but I appreciate the detailed info you gave me Smile

gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok i am on the way..I took of my steering wheel and cluster, installed the autocheck in the cluster and now I have to do the wiring. The wiper stalk button is on its place and all the wires to the small black plug on the back of the unit and what left is the 26 pin connector which I am haveing problem find which wire goes where.
As far as I know I am missing brown(ground wire) on 16th pin..
pin 3 is for windshield washer container sensor, then red and grey one are for the bulb check, which all for now I will ground so it shows OK and later I may consider installing them..
but for now i have to figure out how to wire it

http://gagito.snimka.bg/automobiles/albena.855537.35172356.big

http://gagito.snimka.bg/automobiles/albena.855537.35172357.big

View next topic
View previous topic