Adrian Flux Insurance
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Various niggles on 2.0e

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Demmers

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Morning all I have a 2.0 e 1993 and love the old girl but she has some issues so would appreciate any pointers to past posts etc which might help.
The water temp gauge has always read low moving up only a short distance unless idling in hot weather when it has gone up to the centre of the gauge. Then I noticed that the radiator fans are running after the engine has been switched off and now the fan seems to be on permanently. I had assumed that this was responsible for flattening the battery in the multi storey in Grimsby but have now temporarily disconnected the fan and the battery is still draining.
The car never pulled very well when I first bought it but bizarrely seems to be improving each year that I own it. Basically it seemed to be low on power and lumpy but the engine seems to be more powerful and smoother now.
Ive been told that the cabs have earthing problems in the cabin so wonder if this is connected and I do have the problem with water getting in the boot lid so need to carry out the work in the sticky post.
Apart from that all is well bar the stitching coming loose on the rear window

Any help would be appreciated - my guess is a water sensor has broken down but not sure which as there seem to be a number of them on hoses, block and rad Rolling Eyes

umquat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My temperature gauge does exactly the same thing. It will get to 90 eventually after sitting there idling for ages, but almost immediately the fan kicks in and drops it back down. When on the move it barely gets above around 65 I guess, and on the odd occasion it never gets off the bump stop. It was actually worse than this but I had the dash out the other night, and as per other posts in here cleaned the electrical contacts on the circuit board where the mounting screws go through. The regulator was fine with ~12v on the input and 10.4v on the output.

Given what you describe, I wonder whether both of our cars are suffering from a thermostat that doesn't close. I'm going to replace mine as soon as the opportunity arises. I want to check the water pump and the timing belt tensioner anyway as although the cambelt has been changed theres no indication in the service record that either of these was definitely done.

I know what you mean about temperature sensors. I believe there are three on mine, one just to control the two speed fan mounted to the radiator, a dual pin one that may or may not feed the ECU on the pipework at the back of the engine - passenger side, and a multi sensor, which does a number of things apparently, one of which is to control the temperature gauge in the car, which is mounted at the back of the engine on the drivers side. Mines a 2.6 v6 run out model btw.

Demmers

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your reply and interesting to hear that you have some similar issues. I wondered about the thermostat but stuck open would presumably just take longer to warm up, however it should still get up to normal temperature. I also wonder about the water pump and whether this is the reason that the engine seems to heat up on long tickover.

I think that I will look to replace the sensors first and see if this stops the fan from running and also see if the gauge responds.

View next topic
View previous topic