Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - Body distortion?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Gogirl
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Our superb cabriolet was rammed in the back yesterday. Initial inspection suggested the damage was not too bad but after this, on the motorway, we noticed an increase in wind noise and wondered whether there had been some body distortion from the impact.

Later, when we got to our destination, on opening the boot we could see that the cross member below the boot lid was distorted. We then realised that the bumber is, in fact, a crush zone and that the effect of the impact had been transferred further into the vehicle.

On the possible distortion side it has been suggested that we get the vehicle into the local Audi dealer to check that the drop-head mechanism has not been affected.

Any comments would be very helpful please.

Hope you all had a fabulous Christmas

Regards

GoGirl

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

would not like to say at this point but deffo get checked out as this bump could have effected your rear axle alignment etc, that's if the chassis has been moved. was it a big shunt and does the roof sit tight against the chrome strip around hood lid, top of the boot area.....

Gogirl
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, coatsie-ukcab, for your helpful reply. Yours looks a nice cab and identical series to our. Must put photos of ours on.

No it wasn't a big bump really and it has now been examined by an authorised Audi body repair shop. The rear bumper took most of the impact; the bumper supports were distorted in addition to the cross member already mentioned.

Careful examination by the body repair expert indicated that all the 'gaps' are even and, as we knew, all the doors close as well as they did before. So it is possible that the increased wind noise may be a product of our imagination. But whilst we are about it, do you get much wind noise on yours at higher speeds?

GoGirl Very Happy

richymotor
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

if it's any help ... i've gone from a slilent runner on the motorway (vectra) to my cab (although i've now had it for a year) and the wind noise is rather loud compaired to other cabs i've been in.

Have you checked the boot floor for any ripples? if there are any (and make sure you check yourself so you know for sure) then you could still have even 'gaps' but they could be bigger than they should be

ie the boot could be doing this I^I from this I__I if you see what i mean from my crap illustration

95 Nissan Skyline Gts-t Type M 
Gogirl
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your comments, Rich Very Happy

Will check the boot pan for ripples, as you suggest.

The curious thing about the wind noise (on the driver's side) is that if pressure is applies to the top of the window (endeavouring to push a finger between the window and the seal) the wind noise goes. Will look more closely at this.

Regards

GoGirl Smile

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

noise is only a problem at 70+ not that i travel vast miles to obtain these speeds, a good sound system sorts this out i find.......

you will never eliminate wind noise in a cab mainly due to the facts of:

1, the roof is fabric
2, the seal from outside to inside is only as good as the rubber trim
3, the doors can only seal to a certain degree otherwise the window will shatter.

thats my theory anyways!!!!!!!

Gogirl
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Coatsie, for your input. That all makes a lot of sense.

GoGirl Very Happy

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

was also going to mention about having a stereo lol

yes this works .... use it like a harley davidson .... turn it up the faster you go Smile

i just have to remember to turn it down before i get within a mile of my house as there's so many pikey theiving b@st' about round our way that it's just not worth advertising.

Fast28
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like the cabriolets suffer from the same thing as the coupes Sad . Its all down to aerodynamics on the leading edge of the windscreen and A-pillar which is of the same angle to the coupe. People who've had replacement windscreens on their cab/coupe will often notice a higher windnoise. The fix is to somehow find where the noise occurs along the edge of the A-pillar, usually halfway up on the door window seal and use something temporary to deflect the airflow over this spot. Once you know where the problem is coming from all it takes is a small piece of card pushed under the rubber seal to slightly raise the seal in order to deflect the airflow.

HTH. Smile

2.8 Cabriolet Final Edition
30v

| Brembos | 993 mirrors | Keskin KT4 | H&R Cup | RS2 front | Jetex | 
marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have got the problem as well, only occurs when you go above 70 mhp, I know what my main problem is, it is because the doors have slightly dropped. This happens to all the cabriolet as the doors are heavy, if this has happened to yours you just need to take it to a body shop to get them adjusted, but havent had time.

I think that you will always get wind noise in a cabriolet and there is no real cure apart from having a load stereo or just have the roof down, either way seems to cure the problem.

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

so you're saying you don't get wind noise at 70 mph with the roof down? lol

sorry i couldn't resist Smile

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, what I'm try to say is that it doesnt matter about the noise with the roof down, plus that is how the car is ment to be driven. I have already had my roof down this year, was abit chill but with a nice big coat and wool hat it was a nice drive. lol

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

was only joking buddy .... i've thought about having the roof down but after cracking the rear window last year because it was too cold i thought i'd best not bother ..... it'll be down as soon as it's 12 degrees though Smile

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had my rear window replaced last year so I dont need to worry about cracking it. As long as you get the windows warm before you lower it you should be ok.

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did get the window glued in so it looks a lil bad on the inside or did you have it stiched in?

i'm having the whole roof taken off and the window sewn in proffessionally for £360 .. expensive but it'll look proper Smile

i even thought about buying from that company on ebay that sells brand new hoods £550ish plus fitting

how long do you wait to put the roof down when you start the car with heaters on

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright rich, I had the window stiched and glued in. Cost me £250 but I'm really happy with the job.

I just wack the heaters on full heat and wait till I have all most got a sun tan, by which time the window is heated up enough. You need to make the plastic warm so it bends rather than cracks.

With a new plastic window it isnt much of a problem as it is really reflexable, it is only the older windows which are alot harder plastic.

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheers for the info.

Where'd you get yours done .... when we're both at a show together would it be alright if i took a look at the finished job? i wouldn't mind saving £100 on having it done lol .... especially if it's not that noticable.

Cheers

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yer, thats fine with me. I can take some pics of it and post them up in the gallery as well.

To be honest I think it is a good job, from the outside you cant even notice it. had no problems with leaks, it has been fitted for over a year now with no problem. The only thing is, in the inside you can see the plastic going round the outside of the of the window with the glue round it, to be honest I dont even notice it and it saved me money so I dont really mind.

Personally I would recommend having this done if it is going to save you some money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

Just had my rear screen replaced as well at a company called Hoods Galore near Southend in Essex, again they restriched and glued it in - looks perfect from the outside just a bit messy on the inside (you can see the edge of the plastic) But its well worth it as the whole car looks so much better with the roof up - and it no longer has a crack across it!!!!!! Cost £250 + VAT but wish I had had cash on me when I collected car as they would have done it less the VAT!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you want their number

richymotor
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cheers for that ... i've heard of that company too ... someone mentioned it here for me to go to but at the time i wasn't prepaired to travel but now i'll do anything to save money .... it'll be at least 6months before i can even think about spending that sort of cash on something not too important

exhaust and gearbox needs doing first lol

richymotor
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just noticed that we have the exact same taste lol

marky
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is the same company that did my rear window.

They do quite a good job.

Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i knew i knew the name lol

View next topic
View previous topic