Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - How to fit 80 B4 dash speakers

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
d-a-n
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've just finished fitting 10cm dash speakers to my 80 B4...

I levered off the plastic speaker covers using a flat bladed screwdriver, these are held in place using three pieces of a snotty black substance that is like a melted Blackjack.

Some of it stays on the cover whilst some satys on the dash and some splits in 2...I opted to peel it off and stick it back on the speaker cover.

You'll need a number 2 tipped offset screwdriver (middle one.) This whole set can be bought from Halfrauds for about 3 quid.

The reason for this is because it's tight as prom night between the dash and windscreen

The speakers come out with a twist and a lift, reverse this process for fitting. There is one screw holding the speaker in place and the opposite tab is held by a bit of dash.

Bin standard speakers and replace with the 10cm ones of your choice.

I've opted to go for Pioneer TS-E1076s (emotion series) as they measure 47mm from the speaker frame base to the base of the magnet - you only have 47.5mm to play with in the dash so beware! You need to cut two of the tabs off to make them fit, these cut off with some smallish side cutters. These speakers have a bigger magnet and it's more of a squeeze getting them in than the standard items but they do fit, just be careful not to damage anything.

Its worth testing the speakers at this point to see whether they are working still! The small female spade connection was loose on both speakers, you need to nip these up with pliers if they were loose.

I was looking at the speaker covers and they don't flow much air through them, I am guessing this may hamper some frequencies in escaping to the cabin.

I took a drill and doilied the speaker cover

It still retains a fair bit of strength, but has the added benefit of making a nice pattern... Laughing

I asked Mrs d-a-n for a pair of her tights. 70 denier was the reply as she handed me these! Stretch them over the cover.

And just glue all around the edge with liquid type superglue. I used gel and it didn't soak through the tights too well

Once this is all glued around the edge, trim the tights off with sharp (fabric type) scissors for a nice clean cut.
The glue leaves a white mark all the way around, so I coloured this with a permanent marker...

The covers become quite a tight squeeze in the dash now, but still use the snotty backjacks mentioned earlier to stop squeeks and rattles. After all, you drive an Audi and it just wouldn't be right.

Laughing

skid
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice job! I cut the middle out of mine to just leave a frame and used acoustic cloth so you cant see my speakers. I note you can still see yours. You can get the cloth from Maplins for about £5!!!

d-a-n
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good shout, this was free though. If I wanted any darker, I would've put two pairs of tights on! Laughing
It's not too bad though, you can only see the speakers from certain angles and in bright sunlight (and because they're yellow). Just glad I know I don't have to touch that end of the car's speakers now and can focus on doing the back.

Audi_Jess
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

top job this dan! Wink

what's the wattage on the standard speakers you took out?

i'm guessing they must be the same on my coupe?

1993 Audi Coupe 2.0E, Cayenne Pearl.
1999 VW Polo (6N) 1.4CL, Dragon Green color 
d-a-n
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright Jess mate, the standard ones have 'ELE BL 100/19/F-4ohms' printed on the back and are part number 443 035 411 C. I'm guessing this could indicate they may be something like 100W (PMPO) or 19W (RMS?) Or I could just be being very optimistic!!
Regardless of output, they are a 15 year old paper single coned speaker with a puny magnet; the sound did go quite loud without blowing them, but the sound was not very clear at low voumes and distorted at higher volume. I'm guessing the frequency response of the old speakers is poor. The new items with their new covers have much clearer treble and have a better bass response.
All I need to do now is put some 13cm Pioneer dual cone speakers
(TS G1309) in the rear doors. Being partially obscured by the seat squab, you're fighting a losing battle so I'm not willing to spend megamoney. I don't want to go the shelf speaker route and I can't afford amped 13cm components. Co axials try to do too much at once; I'd rather have something which can make as much bass as it can in a narrower band of frequencies (doing it well) than a speaker that spreads itself thinly over a wide range of frequencies.

Last edited by d-a-n on Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Audi_Jess
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

i agree. apart from that i hardly ever use CDs - it's the iPod for me - so 40% of semi audible frequencies are cut out with the mp3 format.

People always spend huge chunks of money on speakers that replicate all the frequencies that only dogs can hear Laughing

I reckon i'll do the same, no point starting to cut into things, just update the speakers...been eyeing up some JBLs...

so many things to do and so little cash with which to do it with!

d-a-n
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Audi_Jess wrote:
i agree. apart from that i hardly ever use CDs - it's the iPod for me - so 40% of semi audible frequencies are cut out with the mp3 format.

People always spend huge chunks of money on speakers that replicate all the frequencies that only dogs can hear Laughing

I reckon i'll do the same, no point starting to cut into things, just update the speakers...been eyeing up some JBLs...

so many things to do and so little cash with which to do it with!

Give me a shout when you want to start upgrading speakers Jess and come to mine to fit them if you like! I run an iPod off of my Alpine headunit through the direct control lead, so the music's never going to be mindblowing - it just means I can have my entire CD collection in the car (around 900 CDs). Just picked up the other Pioneer (one was in the display cabinet as I walked out) from here: www.caraudiocentre.co.uk as they have a branch in Manchester and CBA with mail order. Give their site a look over.

If I want truly decent audio, I'll sit in my lounge, not in a box that's subject to road and engine noise! Laughing

Audi_Jess
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

d-a-n wrote:
If I want truly decent audio, I'll sit in my lounge, not in a box that's subject to road and engine noise! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

sound mate, i'll give you a shout when i get round to it Cool

Jonty
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good article, I'm not one for doing these jobs myself, but always impressed at the ingenuity you chaps show!

Blackie
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Top job indeed, I shall be having a go at this myself at some stage, was wondering how this was done, cheers fella!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the excellent post. I was inspired to replace my stock speakers with the Pioneer TSG1043R speakers. They're pretty cheap but are still much better than the old stock ones and are even shallower than the ones you used - they fit very easily. The sticky black stuff holding the speaker covers down didn't do the job any more once I'd taken the old speakers out, and I couldn't find an equivalent product. I used black silicone adhesive to fix the covers back down - I hope I don't need to get them off again (I stuck with the stock covers, rather than putting holes in them).

Sidrick
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent guide. Thanks.

Sidrick
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to your guide, I tackled this today. I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread rather than making an identical topic. I have a journal on another forum, so this is just a copy and paste effort.

I removed the original Clarion head unit and fitted my Kenwood KDC-W4044UG. It was dead to the world Sad I checked the wiring and although the original leads fitted fine, the connections were in the wrong place. So I went to Halfords......
I then came home to get my wallet (facepalm) and went back to Halfords to pay for my ISO harness. Plugged it all together and it's working fine. Even on stock speakers it seemed much sharper and clearer Smile

Inspired by this, I decided to have a crack at fitting the uprated dash speakers today as well. I've never touched ICE in a car, so this was new, potentially disasterous ground for me, but a great guide on Audi Fans dot net made it look fairly straight-forward, so I removed the grille:

The speaker is held in by a single screw so easy enough to remove. I made some money out of the job, which is a boost!

You need to remove 2 of the lugs on the new speakers (Pioneer TS-G1012I) in order for them to fit in the original hole without destroying your dash. I just bent them back and forth until they snapped off, then slotted the speaker in place and screwed it in:

I then refitted the grille:

5-10 minutes per side, keeping the OE looks, and the difference is like night and day! Smile Quite a modest little set-up, but in comparison to the dated originals, I'm delighted with the transformation that cost a grand total of just under £80 for speakers (new) and headunit (used, but mint).[/code]

marathontom
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Brilliant walk thru mate! Used it well this afternoon fitting my new speakers, does anyone have a walk thru for the rear speakers in a coupe? Or at least some info on how to get the speakers out and what size they are? Cheers Smile

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great guide!

I did this a long time ago on my B3 and I can confirm that the B3 has the same setup for front speakers and the same speakers as stock (The Nokia ones). I recently put some Pioneer 4 Inches in mine too, I didn't think to mod the cover.. I could give it a go seeing as I have 2 sets though.

Great guide for anyone that is interested in doing this though!

yuanrongrong
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nicht neu, Stone Island und Italienische Schuhfertiger diemme haben sich zusammengetan und präsentieren wieder eine solide Sneaker bietet für Frühjahr/Sommer mit asatin Webart und Cotton Canvas Obermaterial mit suedeheel Verstärkungen, die zwei waren in der Nähe zu Ihren bevorzugten adidas silver Silhouetten mit dieser Version. Der neue adidas concord round billig ist einer meiner Lieblingsschuhe in der Flotte. m1500 Heute bekommen wir einen ersten Blick auf dieses farbenfrohe Wiedergabe von ' Classic Gel Lyte V. Der hinzugefügte ropepro Schutz gibt Ihnen besseren Griff und Unterstützung, also können Sie mit Vertrauen höher steigen. adidas predator herren Polsterung wird noch weiter nach vorne für mehr Polsterung erweitert (auch Ihre Außenseite Zehen wird gepolstert). Klingt kompliziert, aber wenn Sie es gesehen haben, werden Sie wissen, was wir meinen. Die neueste Version sieht eine solide Darbietung der Blazer's little Cousin - das Gericht alle 2 niedrig.

Juli 2016 veröffentlichen hyperdunk hyperdunk am kommenden Samstag ist Black Toe. Diese Schuhe liefern verbesserte Dämpfung und Energie zurück. Nicht veröffentlicht wurde, obwohl doch unser Geld ist auf einmal, wenn die Wm macht seinen Weg in den Süden. Also, was zählt am meisten ist Komfort und hören auf unseren Körper. Der adidas schuhe zx flux weiß ist eine ausgezeichnete Wahl für den Stadtläufer, der das Bürgersteig für adidas zeitfrei einen schnellen Tempolauf oder the'off Roader trifft, der diese für eine Drehbeschleunigung auf einem Schmutzpaketweg nehmen möchte. Sie sind auch verdammt bequem, wir können bestätigen, dass. Es ist selten, einen Schuh, der so perfekt passt zu finden, aber die adidas superstars neon umarmt die Fersen und Mittelfuß, während noch ausreichend Raum für Ihre Zehen.

Während dieser Schuh kann mäßig preislich fühlt es sich High-End. Es ist ein toller passender Schuh mit vielen Features zu lieben. Da diese Schönheiten sind nur in begrenzter Anzahl hergestellt werden, empfehlen wir Ihnen, Ihr Paar jetzt am Ende. Die adidas superstar 2 damen 38 kommt in einer Vielzahl von Ferse Tab Farben, darunter rot, grün und blau mit der adidas top ten herren günstig in weiß geschrieben. Die Wand selbst repräsentierte adidas design diese Unterschiede. Die Zunge selbst ist leicht gepolstert und schützt den Fuß von der medialen Seite. Ebenso erfrischend für den Sommer, der Läufer mit einem Obermaterial Veloursleder in orange mit einem Leopard all-over-Print.

View next topic
View previous topic