Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A8 I.C.E. question

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Westcliff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My recently-purchased 2000 A8 came with its original sound system replaced. At the moment there is a Becker Traffic Pro head unit (Radio/single CD/SatNav), a Caliber CA120 amp and a large speaker in a carpet-covered box in the boot. There is no CD changer.

What I want to do is remove the speaker from the boot and install a CD changer. Is my best bet to remove the head unit and amp, replacing them with whatever the original equipment was, plus an Audi CD changer, or to get a CD changer compatible with the Becker head unit?

Whatever happens, I intend to get rid of the big speaker in the boot.

I have attached some pics of the current setup. The amp seems to be powered directly from the battery, via a pretty big fuse. The original Audi wiring is present and taped-up. There is a black, Audi-branded box hanging loose, I don't know what it's for, but it looks like it should be attached to something. It is connected to the amp.

Is there anything missing from under the hat shelf? It looks like whoever installed the big speaker in the boot removed something to fit it in.

Thanks for your help.

Gus.

[/img]

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

it looks like the Amp is to power the sub (the carpeted box in the boot)

If you remove the fuse from the holder, does the rest of the system still work?

If so;

looking at the right of your picture of the amp- a red wire (from the fuse holder), a black (from the battery) and a blue (switched live from the head unit)
I would remove the fuse/ fuse wire from the battery; remove the black wire from the battery; isolate (securely isolate) the blue wire (that's a + 12v live feed from your head unit) and then remove the amp and box (and sell it on E Bay for about £50)
2 wires then go to the box (+'ve and -'ve speaker input) and 2x phono's. (remove those)

I'm guessing the 2 phono's initially went "elsewhere" so am not too sure, as I've not had a good look in the boot/ sound system of an A8. If unsure, secure with insulation tape so they don't short to anything.... then see if the system still works, with speakers front and rear.

As for the head unit- does it mention MP3? Becker are usually pretty good kit; several MP3 albums can be "recorded" onto a single disk (if you are computer minded in any way)

Do you have the exact model number/ photo of the head unit? It will help trying to determine if a multichanger is available or not....

Jas may chip in at some point- he has experience of *some* Becker head units....

Westcliff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the response.

The head unit is a Becker Traffic Pro. I have the handbook for it, which lists the Becker Silverstone 2630 and 2660 CD changers as compatible. The handbook doesn't mention MP3.

I'll try removing that fuse tomorrow to see what works with it gone.

Gus.

Edit - The little black box is the control box for parking assistance.

Westcliff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

This morning I switched on the radio, then went round to the boot and removed the fuse which sits between the battery and the amp. The radio continued playing.

Is the amp only there for the sub (and the parking sensor control box)? Does the Becker head unit have its own internal amp?

Please excuse the newbie questions, but I really don't have much of a clue about I.C.E. if it involves more than a radio and a pair of speakers.

Gus.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

looking at your images, i would say it only feeds the amp & sub in the boot.

Westcliff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know it's been a while, but I have finally bought a Becker model 2660 CD changer. I have removed the sub and disconnected the amp from the battery. The parking assistance control box is not connected to the amp and it continues to work.

Fortunately, CD changer connections were present and unplugged behind the radio and in the boot, and I have successfully tested the CD changer by plugging the blue and green plugs into the radio. There is also a yellow plug, disconnected, behind the radio. Should I plug that one in too? It has line out connections for four speakers and a sub. I assume the sub was working without this plug being connected, although it may have been pulled out when I removed the radio.

One thing I noticed is that only two speakers can be heard; those in the front doors. I have not yet worked out how to remove the speaker covers on the rear doors to see if the speakers are present. Perhaps the two phonos mentioned in a previous post are for the rear door speakers.

The radio is a Traffic Pro model BE 4724 according to the card I have containing the radio's code number.

I intend to completely disconnect and remove the amp tomorrow. Suggestions as to what I should do next will be most welcome.

Thanks.

Gus.

audioc
Site OWNER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

does the amp only power the sub, or could it possibly power the rear speakers also?

Westcliff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

The amp appears to have been provided solely for the sub. I pushed the yellow connector most of the way into the back of the radio (I didn't want to force it and it's a tight fit), and six speakers started working, the four in the doors and two in the corners of the rear parcel shelf.

The radio's service menu tells me it is a model 7421.

A screwdriver is displayed on the screen, with a picture of a CD, but I think it is a reference to the navigation CD, so I'm not bothered about it as I use a TomTom.

Next up, I have to find a bracket for the CD changer.

Gus.

View next topic
View previous topic