Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - URGENT....A3 1.8T Advice needed please....

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
SMc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone....

I'm new here, look forward to having a good look through the site and reading some of the forum.

However, before I get a chance to do so, I am looking for some advice on a A3 1.8T I am literally just about to buy!!

It's an immaculate, 2000 'W' Reg, Silver, 3 door, FASH, 2 owners, black cloth interior, 16" comp wheels, 31,000 miles, AC/CC.....from dealer for £11,900.

I think I can trust the Audi dealer contact i have (friend of a friend)....but, some of you may think I've been silly...as I've put a deposit on this car and I haven't even seen it yet !! I'm due to see it tomorrow (it's 00.25am..so it's today!). However, I had to secure it with deposit as other people were homing in.

Anyway....what I would like to ask......hoping for urgent replies please....Is there anything in particular I should be looking for on this car? Any common A3 faults? Any info along these lines would be grateful as I'll be a bit underexperienced with inspecting this particular car.

Also, my plans are to put 18s on, install my sound system, and possibly a dump valve and chip will be in order.

Any suggestions for chip? I'm looking for at least a 30bhp improvement to bring it up to Quattro engine spec. Dump valve? any suggestions?

Finally, it will be a cash sale....don't know if I'll be able to budge the price any. If not, is there anything you can suggest I could ask Audi for as a bargaining extra.....ie would they throw in the first service with the price? Any accessories I could try asking for ?

Looking forward to some useful info!

Coupe_20v
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

12mths road tax, full set of mats, full tank of fuel, even a bunch of flowers to keep the missus happy.

Not up to speed on the 1.8T motor I'm afraid, but I'd have thought that most things would be covered under the 12 month warranty that should come with the car.

Otherwise, good luck... and welcome Very Happy

Cheers

1993 Audi 80 Avant 2.6 SE quattro - for the wife, the kid, the dog, and everything else! 
IanT
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

You wil find Audi dealers are rather tight when it comes to shifting on price.

You might want to try and get a 2 year warranty out of them as the Audi warrant is excellent.

Damm, I wish I had bought the turbo!! 
Russell
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wish I'd seen the post sooner....

When test driving the car, wait for it to get warm before giving it some serious stick. "Older" 1.8T's can appear to be hesitant and full of kanga juice if you push them when they're cold.

I had a standard 1.8T 150hp and found it to be a good car ... so much so I upgraded to a 225hp S3. The S3 is now my 3rd Audi, but I'm used to dealing with dealers on the continent .... for getting extras, go for as much as possible. the worst the dealer can say is 'no'!

I managed to get 11% off list on my new S3 a year ago.

SMc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the comments guys....

Only just seen the car today....been messed around by the dealer all week.....not very happy!

Discussed the A3 with dealer last Friday. Told to be very quick as it would go straight out the door. Decided to trust dealer on the condition of vehicle and put down deposit on Saturday. Told the car would arrive at showroom on Monday as it was being prepared for sale at their bodyshop centre.

Arrived Monday....no car. 'Still in bodyshop'... 'Definitely here tomorrow lunchtime....and car will be ready to drive away by the end of week!' Turned up Tuesday...no car! Still at bodyshop. Told to call next morning and re-assured car would be ready to collect before end of the week. (No call on either Monday or Tuesday to save me a wasted journey to dealership.) Called on Wednesday....salesman not available..will call back. No call received. Called another twice.....yep, no calls returned.

Thursday....called dealer...for fourth time.....salesman busy...will return call.....once again..no return call !! So, for the 5th time, I called the dealership, late on Thursday......moaned at them a bit and salesman decided to come to phone this time. Car ready? nope...still at bodyshop!!!
Arrrgghhhh !!!! Said I would go to see the car at bodyshop....and was reassured once again, car would be ready for weekend !!!

Arrived at bodyshop today. A3 was there..with no bumper! it's off being resprayed due to stone chips. Car not anywhere near ready, dirty and not valeted. Guy at bodyshop looked shocked when I asked how this was going to be ready for tomorrow.....knew nothing about it !!!

So, as it stands, I'm sitting here now....not impressed at all by the service I have received so far. I couldn't even get excited looking at the car as I was so pissed off. Not spoke to dealer yet since seeing the car today but will do tomorrow.

Not sure what to do now as this week has been full of stress and frustration for something that should have been so simple and straightforward. I have made important arrangements for Sunday
on the understanding this car would have been ready for me.

Don't understand it at all.....have to sleep on this before figuring out whether I want to go ahead with this deal or not. The rest of the car seemed clean enough.....couldn't fault anything else really but it just makes me suspicious of the car when I get treatment like that!

Cheers,

Stephen

Russell
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm always wary of cars with a too immaculate front end - makes you think if the bumper was off for more than stone chips. Confused

As the dealer has mucked you around so much, go and ask them for your deposit back ... I wouldn't deal with a garage that's keen to take money under false pretences then fail to come up with the goods or even a returned phone call.

GOOD LUCK!
Cool

DaveE
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Stephen - I hang out on the A4 forum, but thought I'd have a surf through the other marques - I'm in suspense - did you buy the car, or not?!

DaveE

Deanjay18T

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blimey I hope he didn`t leave the Audi group Confused

View next topic
View previous topic