Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - A6 2.5TDi ABS warning after plug disconnection - RESOLVED

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
MikeO
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

I am so pissed off with myself Evil or Very Mad

Yesterday afternoon I took the windscreen washer bottle out to replace the pump (only to find the one I'd bought from eBay was the wrong one - but that's another story).

In order to ease access to the washer bottle, I disconnected the large multi-pin connector on th ABS unit. This plug has a metal clamp on it, which I opened, then disconnected the plug. Loads of dry detritus fell into the socket when I did so, but I carefully vacuumed all this out.

Reassembling the car, I replaced the plug. I was not surprised to get an ABS failure warning (red brake symbol continually flashing on the main display plus the amber 'ABS AUS' light on) when I restarted the car.

I called my mate at Norwich Audi who suggested that either the unit might reset itself (some models do when you drive more than 500m at more than 20kph, until all the sensors are talking to the unit) or - failing that - it would have to be reset by VAG COM.

I took the car for a drive, but the dynamic reset didn't work. I stopped at Norwich Audi this morning and waited whilst they VAG COM'ed it. Tey managed to reset the service indicator successfully, but they cannot get the ABS fault to clear.

I asked what he suggested as a next step and he suggested gettng some contact cleaner and making sure the male and female plug contacts were completely clean - he clearly wasn't optimistic about this. One frustration is that I won't know if anything I do is effective until they try to reset it for me anyway...

As it stands, the car won't pass an MOT (thankfully not due until October), so this needs to be sorted somehow.

1997 A6 2.5TDi Avant quattro - 255k miles - brake fluid replaced about 18 months ago (by Bladerunner - RIP).

Any ideas, guidance gratefully received...

Many thanks,

Mike Sad

Last edited by MikeO on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total 
MikeO
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed! Cool

I took Norwich Audi's advice and spent an hour this morning carefully cleaning all the blade contacts on the unit and the sockets on the plug. I then carefully brushed the socket out and hoovered it until it was spotless.

I reconnected the plug, started the car up and Bingo! No warning light - didn't even need to be VAG-COM'ed...

Mike Smile

Audi Nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MikeO wrote:
Fixed! Cool

I took Norwich Audi's advice and spent an hour this morning carefully cleaning all the blade contacts on the unit and the sockets on the plug. I then carefully brushed the socket out and hoovered it until it was spotless.

I reconnected the plug, started the car up and Bingo! No warning light - didn't even need to be VAG-COM'ed...

Mike Smile

glad you fixed it, i have brake warning light for a year now, my plan was to install those brake pads in my old audi 100 C3 (RIP) and i cut them off cause C3 didnt have connectors, but i installed them on C4 after...

tadd
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

2 new problems today... other 1 i will post on my old topic

every time one second before car stops on red light ABS kicks... every time... if you understand what i mean... no errors on ecu, nothing...

View next topic
View previous topic