Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - 80 TDI project 'Sweep'???

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bit of an update, i fitted my AAT injectors few days ago, club tdi forum recon they are 0.205, same as the 110bhp motor. fitted them with new washers, have done about 50k and looked in better nick than my old 130k ones. after starting it up it was very loud, lots of diesel sound and a slight ticking too, but after convincing myself this was normal i went for a drive. SO much smoother very nice but not a noticable increase in power i dont think....has anyone fitted injectors before? any results like this? it will hopefully be getting chipped after crimbo but just wondering if something might be up??

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

could also try getting a boost gauge on it and see what results you get?

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
gavs20v
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

are you getting a generic chipset or going for an actual remap?
Gav

anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actual MRC remap, i hope neway, boost guage is next on the list actually Pete. find a nice cheapone that matches the standard guages, will hae a look at the sooty thread, remember you sayin jas' one was good. going to southampton at the weekend so will test the mpg and see if the bed in then....

Ant

anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well i didnt go to southampton in the end as the issue with the injectors got a bit worse.....beems i managed to catch one of the fuel return lines and although it wasnt leaking at first, when i had a look a few days later it was like a water pistol lol. also one of the bearings wasnt sitting right and was leaking so was getting reduced compression if any. re-did that cylinder and the ticking has gone completely, feels much nicer and the line was replaced.

have a 700m round trip on wed tho so fingers crossed i haven't ruined my fuel ecconomy Laughing

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anton wrote:
well i didnt go to southampton in the end as the issue with the injectors got a bit worse.....beems i managed to catch one of the fuel return lines and although it wasnt leaking at first, when i had a look a few days later it was like a water pistol lol. also one of the bearings wasnt sitting right and was leaking so was getting reduced compression if any. re-did that cylinder and the ticking has gone completely, feels much nicer and the line was replaced.

have a 700m round trip on wed tho so fingers crossed i haven't ruined my fuel ecconomy Laughing

Ant

defo need a boost gauge to see if you've any change, also where you planning on going on your road trip, via swindon and my lockup Laughing

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol, your lockup anywhere near perth in scotland hahah, i'll have to have a look when i'm back down south though, starting work on the coupe after crimbo......putting work on the tdi on hold till i make some progress on the quattro. last think i want is for it not to be ready for our nurburgring trip!!!

Ant

anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

haven't posted in a while so thought i'd do a bit of an upate, fitted a boost gauge eventually and as expected....no boost Sad it fitts the symptoms of a faulty n75 and the valve clicks on tick over so decided to replace it along with all the vacuum lines. unfortunately its still got no boost Confused but at least the valve isn't clicking lol.
i'm thinking it might be a sticky wastegate actuator perhaps?? doesn't seem too stiff tho.....shoult it be very easy to move??

anyway, also replaced waterpump which seems to be all that was wrong with the cooling system so its been a reliable car recently, soon as this boost problem has been found it will be pretty much sorted Very Happy Very Happy

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anton wrote:
haven't posted in a while so thought i'd do a bit of an upate, fitted a boost gauge eventually and as expected....no boost Sad it fitts the symptoms of a faulty n75 and the valve clicks on tick over so decided to replace it along with all the vacuum lines. unfortunately its still got no boost Confused but at least the valve isn't clicking lol.
i'm thinking it might be a sticky wastegate actuator perhaps?? doesn't seem too stiff tho.....shoult it be very easy to move??

anyway, also replaced waterpump which seems to be all that was wrong with the cooling system so its been a reliable car recently, soon as this boost problem has been found it will be pretty much sorted Very Happy Very Happy

Ant

does it boost anything at all?

your car is the later style under the bonnet iirc, fitzy's boosts 1.1 bar on his.

I think my n75 is quiet when its idling but clicks when i tap the accelerator from what i remember, was going to check this is right with fitzy's car

did you adjust the actuator at all when you removed the turbo? it does sound wierd especially considering that the car runs at all, i'd have thought it would be sluggish and struggle to do much.

where did you plumb the boost gauge into? the take off on the top near the egr valve?

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah boost gauge is above the egr, the car produces 0,5 bar at full throttle at about 4000rpm, at 2000rpm if i give it full throttle it gets perhaps 0.1-0.2 bar boost, this gradually raises until its peak of 0.5SadSad i wouldn't be surprised if the boost i was getting was purely because resistance through the wastegate. seems like the wastegate is stuck open, however the wastegate itself is fine, only done about 1000 miles....

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

the actuator could be weak. If you can remove it check if there is any resistance in the bar. Been a while since i've done anything with internal wastegates.

i'll have to try meet up with you and have a look, at least your getting some boost which isn't quite as bad. Whats the state of your air filter etc like?

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
G-mo
Got Nothing Better To Do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

can't recall if you've mentioned it before mate, but have you cleaned the intake scoop for the intercooler? Behind the front bumper on the driver's side... mine was full of all kinds of crap, completely blocked.

Every little helps

\'00 Kingfisher Blue A4 1.8SE 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah thats all cleaned:) cheers, unfortunately itsdefinately a no boost issue, just dont know if its before or after the N75....need to get vagcom on it really...

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

let me know when your next down this way and i'll see what I can arrange as I know someone with it.

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thought i should post a bit of an update on this one.....

i finally got round to cleaning my intake manifold and the EGR, makes a huge differance!! while it was appart i noticed it was missing a gasket between the manifold and the breather pipe connection, its a big metal to metal surface and was clearly not sealing. i ordered a handful of new gaskets for warious parts of the intake and an EGR blanking plate. although this isn't the reason for the lack of boost it has made it more responsive and MUCH quieter!

I'm thinking its just a good old boost leak i have, anybody have or now of someone with the kit to check for a boost leak?? or can i just do it at home??

Ant

S2 interior with carbon, no boost 
Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was interested in getting a boost leak kit made up, spoke to jas about it at adi last year, should not be too hard and andyp on s2forum would probably be best to speak to about it as he gets the one's for the s2.

You will have to show me which gasgets etc you changed as i'd like to spruce up the tdi at some point soon.

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sure, i got the part numbers in the car, i'll dig them out for you in a bit. whats actually involved in a boost leakkit? is it just something to block both ends then put pressure into it?? i should be able to mock up something myself......

still need to check my falt codes.....given up on garages after the third one said they couldn't so gunna make my own LED job i think.....although its looking like i may be buying an a6 to replae my 80 in a few years so may be worth investing in my own vag-com.......

Ant

anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

been very busy with uni work recently but finnally managed to get some boost from my turbo!! dont think i have fixed the problen since ther is still a fair bit of la but i screwed in the actuator a few turns, this is a refurbished turbo and its been messed with so i doubt it was set correctly anyway. it now boosts to 0.9 bar and doesnt smoke much at all. Very Happy
i also got round to fitting my g60 calipers with drilled discs, old solid discs were warped and were fading pretty bad but i dont think the drilled discs were rly neccesary lol but they were free so its okay.
still not decided where to go from here though. will be starting full time work where i need a fuel efficient car next year but find the car a bit too bland and not enough creature comforts so will be replacing it with a much newer car (thinking the new 3 series 320d touring atm) but whatever i choose it will be around the £8K mark so will take me at least 12 months to save up for it. question is, what should i do in the mean time??:

do i just leave the 80 as it is;

or do it up with full s2 kit, quattro conversion with 01E and a VNT turbo pushing around 180bhp( told this SHOULD still be relatively good on fuel when cruising), costing about £3k and therefore putting off the replacement for a while longer..

or just get something different altogether like a golf mk4 but still relatively cheap.

another question is how much do you think the 80 would be worth if i went all out and did the conversion? i dont want to spend 3k on a car that cost 1k only to have to sell it a year later for 1k again....

Ant

Acidburn
UltraUser

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you'd get alot of interest if you did the quattro conversion plus it will be fun and you can get all the parts from geordie.

Audi Coupe quattro
VW passat tdi 
anton
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

how much do you recon it would be worth in the end??

i'd love to do it as a project and just to show it can be done and it would be great fun when its finnished but i need to start saving money so dont want to be throwing away 3k... Sad if i could sell it for 2-2.5k when its done then i could definately live with that!....

question is, is an S2 diesel replica with 180bhp tastefully done worth 2.5k??

Ant

View next topic
View previous topic